E-M:/ No PCB sediment removal for Fox River - just coverup

Dear Michigan

Some of us have touted the Fox River remediation planning as what we'd like to see more of here in Michigan. BUT THE PLAN IS CHANGING TO ALLOW MORE PCBs TO STAY IN THE SEDIMENTS!!  See below.  Why doesn't this surprise me?

Heads up -- Kalamazoo River -- Tittabawassee and Saginaw Rivers -- Pine River -- will EPA back less-than-clean plans for these rivers too??  No one knows the long-term consequences of leaving that stuff there.  No one has studied what happens over decades of exposure to this stuff in our food chain.  Welcome to the rat lab.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061205/GPG0101/61205079/1978

Paper companies funding the cleanup, including Georgia-Pacific Corp., support the changes and additional capping. Some environmental groups, including the state chapter of the Sierra Club, are opposed to the changes.”

-Rita Jack, Michigan Sierra Club

************************

By Paul Brinkmann

pbrinkma@greenbaypressgazette.com December 4, 2006

State officials, businesspeople, outdoors enthusiasts and

environmentalists are gearing up for a public hearing Tuesday about key

decisions in the Fox River cleanup of PCB pollution.

The goal of the cleanup is to reduce pollution levels in the river,

which poison the fish and other wildlife. State and federal authorities

are proposing some changes to the cleanup agreement, signed in 2002.

The changes would leave more pollution in the river, but cap it with

sand and rock. The capping is also significantly cheaper than dredging

or removing all the pollution.

Paper companies funding the cleanup, including Georgia-Pacific Corp.,

support the changes and additional capping. Some environmental groups,

including the state chapter of the Sierra Club, are opposed to the

changes.

SNIP

The state, EPA and paper companies have been working together to avoid

litigation through the federal Superfund process.

SNIP