E-M:/ Michigan Nature Association

The Michigan Nature Association, established in 1952 in southeast Michigan, is the oldest land preservation group in the state.  A nonprofit conservation organization dedicated to protecting Michigan’s unique natural habitats and rare or endangered plants and animals, we’ve preserved over 8,500 acres at 163 sanctuaries in 53 counties throughout the state – ranging from the 508-acre Estivant Pines near the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula to the 235-acre Dowagiac Woods near the Indiana border.

·         Statewide Land Protection Campaign

We’re currently in the midst of a $3 million campaign to provide much-needed protection to some of Michigan’s most exceptional natural lands.  Prior to launching the campaign in 2004, we conducted an extensive search for vulnerable and precious lands in need of protection, and identified 10 parcels in the Upper and Lower Peninsulas that are home to some of the most extraordinary species and habitats in Michigan.  The Statewide Land Protection Campaign is the largest single endeavor of its type in our organization’s history, reflecting the urgent need to preserve our unique natural treasures before they disappear under the blades of a bulldozer.

Contributions will help MNA to acquire, preserve and maintain these special properties for future generations to enjoy.

·         MNA 2007 Calendar

Now that the holiday season is upon us, it’s time to purchase your 2007 MNA calendars.  Commemorating our 55th anniversary and containing more than 40 outstanding, full color photographs – including a beautiful snowy owl, the amazing Martin Bay and Roach Point Nature Sanctuaries, and a close-up of a skipper butterfly atop a Huron tansy – the calendars cost just $10.  Proceeds will be used for our Statewide Land Protection Campaign so you can support the campaign while addressing your 2007 calendar needs at the same time.

·         “Gala for the Wild” Benefit

The Inn at St. John’s in Plymouth is the place to be on February 10, 2007.

MNA’s “Gala for the Wild” benefit – which includes live and silent auctions, drinks and hors d’oeuvres, music and a raffle – begins at 6:30.  Special guests include Lester Graham, senior editor and host of “The Environment Report” on Michigan Radio.  Participants will have the opportunity to bid on autographed books, sculptures, gift certificates, binoculars, outdoor recreation gear, a hand-crafted chess table, nature photography and artwork, personal chef and massage services, vacation/spa packages, an hour-long ride in a mint-condition 1966 Corvette convertible, and other items and surprises.  Over 200 MNA supporters and auction enthusiasts are expected to attend.

Tickets are $25 each or two for $40, and proceeds will be used for MNA’s Statewide Land Protection Campaign.  Business and individual sponsorship opportunities are still available.

To support the campaign, purchase calendars or register for the auction, call 517-655-5655 or visit www.michigannature.org.  Happy Holidays.

Patrick Diehl

Development Director

Michigan Nature Association

326 East Grand River Avenue

Williamston, MI 48895

517-655-5655

517-655-5506 fax

pdiehl@michigannature.org

The Michigan Nature Association: Preserving Michigan’s natural heritage since 1952.

Visit our website at www.michigannature.org