E-M:/ Message from Sen. Carl Levin

Dear Alex,
<http://www.democratsenators.org/dia/track.jsp?key=107964733&url_num=3&url=http://www.carllevin.com/>Visit CarlLevin.com today!
This week I announced that I will run for re-election to the U.S. Senate in 2008, and I wanted to personally let you know of my decision. It is an honor to represent the people of Michigan and to serve our country, and I hope to have the opportunity to continue that service.

It is a new day in Washington and for America. The excitement about the first Democratic Congress in more than a decade is palpable. We will begin moving our country in new directions in Iraq and here at home by working to reduce the deficit, increase access to health care for all Americans, restore cuts in federal support for education, and create jobs, including good-paying manufacturing jobs. I am also optimistic that the new Congress will restore the oversight and accountability that has been missing for the last six years.

As the new Chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee and the Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, I am ready to roll up my sleeves and get to work. The challenges facing us are many, but my commitment to overcoming them is even greater.

Although I know we will make progress over the next two years, our work will not be easy or soon finished. The economic policies of the past six years are squeezing the middle class and have left us in a deficit ditch that will be difficult to climb out of. The Administration's reckless foreign policy has strained our international alliances and tarnished our standing in the world, which will take years to repair.

The people of Michigan have given me an incredible opportunity to serve our nation, for which I am forever grateful, and I hope they will give me that opportunity again in 2008.

Please continue to keep in touch through my website at <http://www.democratsenators.org/dia/track.jsp?key=107964733&url_num=4&url=http://www.carllevin.com>www.CarlLevin.com. Thanks for your support, and best wishes for the holiday season.

Sincerely,

Carl Levin
U.S. Senator

<http://www.democratsenators.org/dia/track.jsp?key=107964733&url_num=6&url=http://carllevin.com/>Visit CarlLevin.com Today!

657 Spartan Ave,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com