Re: E-M:/ FREEP: IN OUR OPINION: Bills put billboards in their place

Enviro-Mich message from Andrew Mutch <andrewimutch@yahoo.com>

I haven't seen the final version of SB 568, which is
tie-barred with SB 567, which the editorial describes.
But SB 568 creates a permit system for "vegetation
management" for billboards, which is a euphamism for
the legal clear-cutting of trees and vegetation to
provide more visibility for billboards. The last
posted language included provisions that would allow a
1000' "viewing zone". While there does seem to be some
language to allow MDOT some discretion in approving
permits, one has to wonder how many of these permits
won't be approved?

There are some penalties for illegal cutting but the
problem is that MDOT almost never catches those who do
the cutting. Even when caught, few ever seem to get
punished for cutting down trees in the public
right-of-way. In any case, one has to wonder if
getting the cap on billboard permits is worth the
trade-off considering how many permits have been
pulled and never been used. It seems that the
billboard companies will trade in many of those unused
permits to get permits for locations that they want.
Plus, we'll likely be subjected to a spring and summer
of destruction next year as billboard companies go on
a state-sanctioned clear-cutting of our highways once
they get their "vegetation management" permits
approved.

Andrew Mutch
Novi

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006612080326