Re: E-M:/ When is Great Lakes diversion not a diversion?

David Holtz wrote:

> The question of who really owns Michigan's waters--private
> corporations or the public--will be answered this year as Nestle
> Corporation eyes up to nine water mining projects in Michigan under
> the state's new 2006 water use law.

Lest we forget that politicians are political (thus often lawyers):

Sadly, even if legislators _do_ admit that the public _does_ own
Michigan's waters, some still may try to claim that trading that away
for some other "public good" is within their authority as "public representatives."

That such a trade would be _neither_ "good" _nor_ "representative" won't
bother them a bit!

When has any part of our natural heritage _not_ been for sale -- to a
sufficiently connected bidder?

To paraphrase a politician/lawyer of nebulous repute:

   "It depends on who owns the meaning of 'owns.'"

Never more applicable than to the issue of water rights...

GS

     The best proof for a claim that terrorists are crazy or evil
     would be to acknowledge that the White House is full of them