Re: E-M:/ EPA SCRUBBING LIBRARY WEBSITE TO MAKE RE

MICHDAVE@aol.com wrote:

> House Democratic committee chairs demanded that EPA Administrator
> Stephen Johnson assure them "that the destruction or disposition
> of all library holdings immediately ceased upon the Agency's
> receipt of this letter and that all records of library holdings
> and dispersed materials are being maintained."  On the very next
> day, December 1st, EPA de-linked thousands of documents from the
> website for the Office of Prevention, Pollution and Toxic
> Substances (OPPTS) Library, in EPA's Washington D.C. Headquarters.

Curses!

Normally, this would be where I could jump in to advise that Google or
the Wayback machine (http://www.archive.org/index.php) could protect us
from the mongrels set upon us by Resident Bush.

Sadly, EPA implemented protocols that advise web crawling services (the
largest of which typically respect such directives) _not_ to index much
of the EPA site.

Thus, many EPA documents -- the level of detail and volume of data we
could expect for most .com or .edu sites -- were not being preserved by
most of the popular search and archiving services...

:-(

GS

     The best proof for a claim that terrorists are crazy or evil
     would be to acknowledge that the White House is full of them