From: owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net [mailto:owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net] On Behalf Of Gary Stock
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2006 1:00 PM
To: Enviro-Mich
Subject: Re: E-M:/ EPA SCRUBBING LIBRARY WEBSITE TO MAKE RE

MICHDAVE@aol.com wrote:

> House Democratic committee chairs demanded that EPA Administrator

> Stephen Johnson assure them "that the destruction or disposition

> of all library holdings immediately ceased upon the Agency's

> receipt of this letter and that all records of library holdings

> and dispersed materials are being maintained."  On the very next

> day, December 1st, EPA de-linked thousands of documents from the

> website for the Office of Prevention, Pollution and Toxic

> Substances (OPPTS) Library, in EPA's Washington D.C. Headquarters.

Curses!

Normally, this would be where I could jump in to advise that Google or

the Wayback machine (http://www.archive.org/index.php) could protect us

from the mongrels set upon us by Resident Bush.

Sadly, EPA implemented protocols that advise web crawling services (the

largest of which typically respect such directives) _not_ to index much

of the EPA site.

Thus, many EPA documents -- the level of detail and volume of data we

could expect for most .com or .edu sites -- were not being preserved by

most of the popular search and archiving services...

:-(

GS

Gary Stock                                        gstock@unblinking.com

UnBlinking                                   http://www.unblinking.com/

Googlewhack                                 http://www.googlewhack.com/

     The best proof for a claim that terrorists are crazy or evil

     would be to acknowledge that the White House is full of them