[Date Prev][Date Next][Date Index]
E-M:/ Lenawee Co.Commissioners oppose CAFO
- Subject: E-M:/ Lenawee Co.Commissioners oppose CAFO
- From: Janet Kauffman <email@example.com>
- Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 11:07:21 -0500
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- List-name: Enviro-Mich
- Reply-to: Janet Kauffman <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020823 Netscape/7.0
Front-page Adrian Daily
Telegram article, Sat., Dec. 16, 2006.
Article is not online yet, but can be viewed in full at: www.nocafos.org/adriantelegram.htm
ADRIAN -- A proposed 5,000-cow
dairy operatin in Ogden Township is drawing formal opposition from the Lenawee
County Commission and criticism from the Lenawee County road commissioners
as well as neighboring residents worried about the impact of manure from
the mega-dairy... a resolution is being drafted that should be ready for
a vote in January....
Large dairies are covered under Michigan's Right to Farm Act, which commission
chairman Larry Gould, R-Seneca Twp., said he supported through Michigan Farm
Bureau years ago to protect small farmers from nuisance lawsuites.
"No one had any dreams or concepts we would have the large farms we have
now," Gould said. The law was never intended to give them a right to pollute
or diminish the value of neighboring land, he said. ...