E-M:/ Coast Guard says no live-fire training on the Great Lakes -- for now at least

Enviro-Mich message from "Cynthia Price" <skyprice@gmail.com>

Hard to believe! Of course vigilance is still required, but ... looks
like a victory for the time being.

Cynthia Price
Greater Grand Rapids Food Systems Council

12-18-06 USCG WITHDRAWS GREAT LAKES LIVE-FIRE PROPOSAL
Ninth District Public Affairs
U.S. Coast Guard

Press Release  Date: December 18, 2006  Contact: Ninth Coast Guard
District Public Affairs Office
(216) 902-6020
COAST GUARD WITHDRAWS GREAT LAKES
LIVE-FIRE PROPOSAL
CLEVELAND - The U.S. Coast Guard announced today its decision to
withdraw the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking to establish 34 safety
zones for live-fire training on the Great Lakes. The decision follows
internal review, meetings with many community leaders, as well as nine
public meetings, and numerous comments from the public and their
elected representatives.  "The Coast Guard appreciates the thoughtful
comments we received and we will work with the public to ensure the
Coast Guard can meet any threat to public safety or security. We are
committed to addressing the concerns that training be safe, preserve
the diverse uses of the Lakes, and protect the environment," said Rear
Adm. John E. Crowley, Jr., commander of the Ninth Coast Guard
District.  "As a native son of the region I take the Coast Guard's
role as guardians of the Great Lakes very seriously. The Great Lakes
are one of the nation's most precious resources. The current NPRM is
unsatisfactory and I will take the time to get this right. We will not
conduct live-fire training on the Great Lakes to satisfy non-emergency
training requirements unless we publish a rule, and I intend to
reconsider the number, frequency of use, and location of water
training areas as well as other concerns raised by the public. I am
also committed to pursuing environmentally-friendly alternatives to
the lead ammunition we currently use."  For media inquiries contact
Ninth Coast Guard District Public Affairs Office at (216) 902-6020.