From: owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
[mailto:owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net] On Behalf Of Anna Dorothy
Graham
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2007 2:16 PM
To: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
Subject: E-M:/ reforestation

-
Enviro-Mich message from "Anna Dorothy Graham" <grahama9@msu.edu>
-

With regard to the different threads on global warming now circulating
on this list, I want to ask everyone, why we aren't reforesting the
world?

If the destruction of forests has contributed to the warming of the
world, (through burning them and releasing carbons into the atmosphere,
through the loss of the cooling that they provide naturally, through the
loss of carbon sinks, and whatever other mechanism is involved), then
why isn't our country leading an aggressive campaign to reforest the
world? (We could be doing more despite our witless President, I think,
if NGOs took the lead.) There are so many benefits to local societies in
other ways as well that I can't understand why we don't talk about it
more.

I have read that the environmental community has not wanted to stress
reforestation because it isn't enough without other sorts of action, but
surely it would be a start ...
Anyone else read Collapse, by Jared Diamond?  It's a compelling study of
the self-destruction of societies caused largely by irresponsible
deforestation.
Anna
Anna Kirkwood Graham, J.D., Ph.D.
"There is no trifling with nature; it is always true, grave and severe;
it is always in the right, and the faults and errors fall to our share."
 -- Goethe

enviro-mich"