Re: E-M:/ DEQ Takes Action against Vreba-Hoff Dairy

RMC:

Setting aside for the moment the prospect that some folks may point out
weaknesses in the timing, format, terms, court responsiveness, and so on...

Before MDEQ and AG staff leave for the weekend, I hope you can pass
along our collective appreciation for this action.

Folks needn't have any "environmental" agenda to understand the issue.
Operations like Vreba Hoff put some stable elements of Michigan's
economy at grave risk.  Michigan ships over a billion dollars of dairy
products each year (first among total farm receipts, at nearly 25%).
The state's tourism appeal demands consistent surface water and air
quality.  In both arenas, reputation is a powerful consumer motivator --
and disgusting associations can resonate for decades.

Not incidentally, Michigan can not attract or retain young professionals
unless we're enforcing strong environmental policies.

So:  the sooner, the tougher, the better.

Thanks,

GS

Robert McCann wrote:

> Enviro-Mich message from "Robert McCann" <mccannr@michigan.gov>
>
> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Robert McCann
> January 19, 2007 (517) 241-7397
>
> DEQ Takes Action against Vreba-Hoff Dairy
>
> The Department of Environmental Quality announced today that a motion has been filed
> by the Department of Attorney General at the DEQ?s request petitioning the 30th Judicial Circuit
> Court to find Vreba-Hoff Dairy LLC in contempt of court for ongoing violations of a Consent
> Judgment entered by the court in December 2004.

     The best proof for a claim that terrorists are crazy or evil
     would be to acknowledge that the White House is full of them