Re: E-M:/ How much water will Liberty Renewable Fuels use?

All:

Are we certain that someone who shares Alex's (and all our) concerns --
armed _at_least_ with facts he outlined -- will attend these, and speak?

>From today's DEQ Calendar:

   http://www.michigan.gov/deq/0,1607,7-135-3308_3325-160229--,00.html

JANUARY 29, 2007
6:00 - 6:45 p.m.

PUBLIC INFORMAL QUESTION AND ANSWER SESSION IN OPEN HOUSE
FORMAT REGARDING LIBERTY RENEWABLE FUELS, LLC, NORTHSTAR
TOWNSHIP, GRATION COUNTY, proposed Permit to Install
application for installation and operation of a dry mill
ethanol plant to produce fuel grade ethanol from corn.
During this question and answer session, Michigan
Department of Environmental Quality staff will be
available to provide information and answer
questions about the proposed dry mill ethanol plant;
no formal presentation will be given. The facility is
located at Section 5 of Northstar Township, Gratiot
County. The informal question and answer session
for the public will be held at the Ithaca Community
Center, 120 North Maple Street, Ithaca, Michigan.
The public hearing will immediately follow at 7:00
p.m. with formal testimony taken at that time.
Information Contact: Andrew Drury, Air Quality
Division, 517-335-3107.

JANUARY 29, 2007
7:00 p.m.

PUBLIC HEARING AND END OF COMMENT PERIOD REGARDING
LIBERTY  RENEWABLE FUELS, LLC, NORTHSTAR TOWNSHIP,
GRATIOT COUNTY, proposed Permit to Install application
for installation and operation of a dry mill ethanol
plant to produce fuel grade ethanol from corn. The
facility is located at Section 5 of Northstar
Township, Gratiot County, Michigan. The public
hearing will be held at the Ithaca Community
Center, 120 North Maple Street, Ithaca, Michigan.
Information Contact: Andrew Drury, Air Quality
Division, 517-335-3107.

# # #

Looks like about a forty-mile drive straight north out of Lansing on
M-27.  At ~140 miles for me, it's a bit beyond my driving-to-a-meeting scope.

I'll bet they sited the plant with that very fact in mind :-)

Thanks,

GS

"Alex J. Sagady & Associates" wrote:

> Preliminary indications are that Liberty Renewable Fuels proposed
> ethanol production plant at Ithaca, MI is planning to use 1200 gallons
> per minute of Great Lakes Watershed groundwater....discharging over
> half of it to the air as evaporates or steam for a transfer out of
> the Great Lakes basin.
>
> 1200 gallons per minute is a potential for 630 million gallons of
> water per year.
>
> 630 million gallons would cover 3 square miles with one foot of
> water, each year.
>
> 630 million gallons would be 84, 218,750 cubic feet of water, or
> a cube of water that is over 438 feet on each side, each year.
>
> 630 million gallons per year of groundwater is about 2.4 billion
> 1 liter water bottles, each year.
>
> 630 million gallons per year of groundwater is equivalent to 2.78
> Nestle water bottling plants like the one at Stanwood, MI, each year.
>
> For each gallon of denatured ethanol produced, Liberty Renewable
> Fuels will water-mine 5.2 gallons of water from Great Lakes basin
> groundwater near Ithaca, MI.
>
> The price that Liberty Renewable Fuels will pay for use of 630
> million gallons/year of Michigan groundwater, a public trust
> resource:   $0.00
>
> I guess that groundwater is "priceless," eh?

     The best proof for a claim that terrorists are crazy or evil
     would be to acknowledge that the White House is full of them