E-M:/ GLIN==> GLNPO Request for Proposals - Disappearing Diporeia in the Great Lakes

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's Great Lakes National Program
Office is requesting proposals for an estimated $200,000 in funding for
projects which investigate the mechanisms of the Diporeia decline in the
Great Lakes and taxonomic identification of specific populations.
- The Request for Proposals is available today through a link from:
http://epa.gov/glnpo/fund/glf.html
- Proposals must be RECEIVED or postmarked BY 4:30 PM, Central Standard
Time on March 22, 2007.  Proposals may be submitted either to <
glnpo.funding@epa.gov > or through < Grants.Gov >.

Diporeia are a major part of the lower food web in the Great Lakes and a
healthy population is important to maintaining the biological integrity
of the Great Lakes.  Both Canadian and USEPA-GLNPO monitoring programs
have detected an unquestioned trend of decreasing populations of
amphipods of the genus Diporeia spp. in four of the Great Lakes
beginning in the early 1990â??s. Potential causes of the decline include
food limitation, toxicity, pathogens, and disease. Large areas of the
Great Lakes are now completely devoid of this organism.

To be added to our mailing list which announces and provides information
about our funding opportunities, we request that you register at: <
http://www.epa.gov/glnpo/maillist/index.html >.  For general questions,
please contact Michael Russ (312-886-4013 / russ.michael@epa.gov).

Michael Russ
USEPA-Great Lakes National Program Office
Program Planning and Budget Team Leader
77 West Jackson Blvd. (G-17J)
Chicago, IL 60604-3590
Phone 312-886-4013