E-M:/ Biofuels to the rescue? Bad mileage?

Enviro-Mich message from "Larry D. =?iso-8859-1?b?Tm9vZOlu?=" <ldnum@umich.edu>

An interesting statistic on an alternative fuel:

Bad Mileage: 98 tons of plants per gallon

<http://www.innovations-report.de/html/berichte/energie_elektrotechnik/bericht-22773.html>

Dukes, J.S. 2003. Burning buried sunshine: Human consumption of ancient
solar energy. Climatic Change, 61(1-2): 31-44.
<http://globalecology.stanford.edu/DGE/Dukes/downloadok.html>

In addition, there will be some environmental impacts from utilizing cellosic residues whether they are crop residues (quicker mineralization of soils) or prairie grasses (damage to grassland wildlife, many already in trouble).

This does not mean these and other alternative energy sources are worthless, just that they are getting oversold and scientists need to reality check the politicians and industry sales persons.

One idea I have not heard is the use of bush-form willows (salix)as an energy source. The stems are mowed ca. every 7 years. It is very successful in Sweden, and I think it yields more energy.