From: owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
[mailto:owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net] On Behalf Of Alex J. Sagady &
Associates
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 11:59 PM
To: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
Subject: E-M:/ 2 Ethanol Plants -- 1.25 billion gallons of water mining
per year

-

I went to the public meeting on the proposed ethanol plant by e85, Inc.
in Corunna tonight.....and they admitted on the record to
1.7 million gallons per day of groundwater withdrawal.....

That means that just two ethanol plants in the Granholm campaign to
enrich corn farmers and ethanol plant investors (and bankrupt hog
farmers which cannot feed spent distiller's grains for effectively
finishing hogs because the low starch content but who still must endure
higher
corn prices ).....   .....Just two plants at Ithaca and Corunna....will
cause the
groundwater mining withdrawal of 1.25 billion gallons of Great Lakes
Watershed, public trust resource water per year.

Over half of this water will be an out of Great Lakes watershed/out of
basin transfer by evaporation and discharge to the air.   Neither of the

plants is considering dry cooling for even a portion of their cooling
needs.

The city fathers in Corunna seem intent in blocking any attempt to bring
the matter of the plant going in to a local vote.   They also seem to
want
to block debate about the plant by limiting public comments to questions
only.

The plant wants to put its wells near the Shiawassee River which some of
the locals say already dries up completely in the summertime at
Corunna.....so much for aquatic flora and fauna, eh?

Of course, when the feds are handing out big per gallon subsidies of
corn-based ethanol and Michigan allows over a billion gallons per year
of a public resource to be expropriated at no cost in the name of
corporate welfare, I guess it is easy to
see the result as it occurs.   All of this again is occuring with no
social, environmental
and economic review of the consequences.....since our Democratic
governor has never seen fit to correct the rollbacks of prior governors
in environmental review and concern.

Waste/Community Environmental and Resource Protection Prospectus at:
http://www.sagady.com/sagady.pdf

657 Spartan Ave,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com

enviro-mich"