E-M:/ Environmental Racial Inequality in Detroit article (fwd)

Enviro-Mich message from "Geoffrey Bryan Habron" <habrong@msu.edu>

From: Liam Downey <Liam.Downey@COLORADO.EDU> [Trust] [Block]
To: ENVIROSOC@listserv.brown.edu
Date: 26 Jan 2007, 04:18:19 PM
Subject: New environmental inequality article

Folks interested in environmental inequality, measurement problems in environmental inequality research, and using GIS in environmental inequality research might be interested in my recent article, "Environmental Racial Inequality in Detroit," Social Forces Vol. 85(2). In it, I propose an alternative GIS method for measuring residential proximity to environmental hazards and provide a new justification for the use of proximity indicators in environmental inequality research. I also demonstrate that Detroit's black neighborhoods were disproportionately burdened by industrial activity in 2000 and that neighborhood racial composition had a strong independent effect on neighborhood proximity to industrial activity.

Liam Downey

Assistant Professor

Department of Sociology

University of Colorado