E-M:/ population as an environmental issue

Enviro-Mich message from Doug Welker <dwelker@up.net>

As a result of some recent discussions on population as an environmental issue, I have a few thoughts:

I do not believe that discussion of population issues should be totally off-limits on enviro-mich.

Overpopulation is one cause of some environmental problems, but is not an environmental problem in and of itself.

A comparison could be made between war and overpopulation. Both cause environmental problems. In particular, war causes environmental catastrophes where the war is taking place, and resources devoted to war are not available to deal with environmental problems here at home.

It would not be appropriate for enviro-mich to have a discussion of what's wrong with war. Likewise, it would be inappropriate to have a discussion of what's wrong with overpopulation.

However, if there is a current environmental problem under discussion, and war or overpopulation can be shown to be a direct cause of that specific environmental problem, then I feel it is not inappropriate for one to mention that fact on enviro-mich. However, I would not support discussions specifically on either war or overpopulation.

Doug Welker

Doug Welker
26344 Tauriainen Road
Pelkie MI 49958
dwelker@up.net
(906) 338-2680

Never underestimate the power of human greed.

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.410 / Virus Database: 268.17.16/660 - Release Date: 1/30/2007