E-M:/ U.S. ENERGY EXPERTS ANNOUNCE WAY TO FREEZE GLOBAL WARMING

American Solar Energy Society

2400 Central Avenue, Suite A • Boulder, Colorado 80301

303-443-3130 • fax: 303-443-3212 • www.ases.org • ases@ases.org

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact: Brad Collins

Tel. 303/443-3130

E-mails: bcollins@ases.org

January 31, 2007

U.S. ENERGY EXPERTS ANNOUNCE WAY TO FREEZE GLOBAL WARMING

Boulder, Colorado. As scientists sound daily alarms about the dire consequences of global

warming, Americans are asking one question: What can we do about it?

The American Solar Energy Society (ASES) has an answer: Deploy clean energy efficiency and

renewable energy technologies now!

On Wednesday morning, January 31, 2007 at a press conference in Washington, D.C., ASES

unveiled a 200-page report, Tackling Climate Change in the U.S.: Potential Carbon Emissions

Reductions from Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy by 2030. The result of more than a year of

study, the report illustrates how energy efficiency and renewable energy technologies can

provide the emissions reductions required to address global warming.

The press event included remarks from report editor Chuck Kutscher, ASES Executive

Director Brad Collins, National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) climate

scientist James Hansen, Sierra Club Executive Director Carl Pope, and several members of

Congress. According to Hansen, “We must begin fundamental changes in our energy use now

in order to avoid human-made climate disasters.”

To develop the report, ASES recruited a volunteer team of top energy experts. These experts

produced a series of nine papers that examined how energy efficiency and renewable energy

technologies can reduce U.S. carbon dioxide emissions—the main cause of global warming.

ASES collected the nine papers together and added an overview of the studies to create the

report. It covers energy efficiency in buildings, transportation, and industry, as well as six

renewable energy technologies: concentrating solar power, photovoltaics, wind power,

biomass, biofuels, and geothermal power. The results indicate that these technologies can

displace approximately 1.2 billion tons of carbon emissions annually by the year 2030—the

magnitude of reduction that scientists believe is necessary to prevent the most dangerous

consequences of climate change.

Report available at: http://www.ases.org/climatechange/

Anne M. Woiwode, State Director, Sierra Club Michigan Chapter  - 109 E. Grand River Avenue, Lansing, MI 48906

517-484-2372    fax 517-484-3108 -- anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org

Sierra Club Michigan Chapter celebrating our 40th Anniversary on September 9, 2007

Visit us at http://michigan.sierraclub.org/index.shtml

"Conservation is never complete. To conserve is the act of preservation: the very name implies an ongoing process."

Dr. Edgar Wayburn, past president of Sierra Club