[Date Prev][Date Next][Date Index]
E-M:/ RIP Molly Ivans
- Subject: E-M:/ RIP Molly Ivans
- From: "David Holtz" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 21:16:11 -0500
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:mime-version:content-type:x-google-sender-auth; b=eZWfg6h5KJShkP0MzWSHLWFeluvb/a3wkIJuRkrIGSoIA0vDvXysC3e8WmJvsIBpa7Te0jX9TbHgf5R1Nrii2zIJTb4LX0mSUxC45VaP9/5g+Oq2IEcLZShHJMmAXbRW39QoNPXSVWkULhcDb9zgLBEe2Cb6zyZkUV1CWwYbYl0=
- List-name: Enviro-Mich
- Reply-to: "David Holtz" <email@example.com>
Apologies for this off-topic post but news today that the columnist Molly Ivans, 62, died of cancer is so sad to those of us enviros who are proud liberals. She was a woman of Texas with a voice that spoke truth to power. Some of her words...
Molly Ivans' last column:
"We are the people who run this country. We are the deciders. And every
single day, every single one of us needs to step outside and take some
action to help stop this war. Raise hell. Think of something to make
the ridiculous look ridiculous. Make our troops know we're for them and
trying to get them out of there. Hit the streets to protest Bush's
proposed surge. If you can, go to the peace march in Washington on Jan.
27. We need people in the streets, banging pots and pans and demanding,
"Stop it, now!"
Other memorable snippets from Molly:
"I have been attacked by Rush Limbaugh on the air, an experience
somewhat akin to being gummed by a newt. It doesn't actually hurt, but
it leaves you with slimy stuff on your ankle."
"It is possible to read the history of this country as one long struggle
to extend the liberties established in our Constitution to everyone in
"I still believe in Hope - mostly because there's no such place as Fingers Crossed, Arkansas."
"Never vote for someone who's mouth puckers smaller'n a chicken's asshole."
The day after George W. Bush won reelection Molly predicted: "The Bush administration is going to be wired around the neck of the
American people for four more years, long enough for the stench to
sicken everybody. It should cure the country of electing Republicans."
"In my opinion, Americans are not getting screwed by the Republican
Party. They are getting screwed by Large Corporations that bought and
own the Republican Party."