Re: E-M:/ population as an environmental issue

In a message dated 2/1/2007 9:57:11 AM Eastern Standard Time, grahama9@msu.edu writes:

There IS something we can do about global overpopulation -- we can pressure
our representatives to restore funding for family planning initiatives
throughout the developing world.
And remember, smaller families are a net gain for people around the world --
there are innumerable studies showing that having fewer children raises
standards of living and allows children and WOMEN to be HEALTHIER and better
educated, setting up a much healthier and prosperous cycle for all
concerned.
Anna
Of course educating women is important & its equally important to educate MEN that its not a status symbol to have ten kids by 7 women , a litter of kids by one mother, and that having a SON to carry on the name/gene pool is not really important.  Educating and shifting men will help women to be empowered.

Those those sorts of social shifts take time,no matter how much pressure is put on government. In 2007 right here in the U.S we still fight over Roe vs Wade/ birth control.  Who would have imagined that those things would still be issues today?  If education in the U.S is taking so long to take hold, then I would imagine that it will take even longer for those ideas to take root in developing nations. I say go for it, but I don't think that family planning initatives will begin to show positive effects for a good long time, if at all.   From a recent PBS special Dr. Samuel Wood , the Medical Director For Reproductive Sciences in La Jolla , CA is quoted as saying " My belief is that in twenty years, no couple will be unable to have a baby...genetically except for those few on the extremes of reproductive life."    Its hard to think of family planning initiatives making much impact when we consider that billions are spent annually in the U.S on infertility treatments.

We need to take action now, in our everyday lives to live small.  Maybe we should take all the $ spent on infertility treatments and use it to push the idea of status being attached to living small/environmentally sound.

Namaste,
Edie