Re: E-M:/ population: begin at home

Enviro-Mich message from "Anna Dorothy Graham" <grahama9@msu.edu>

Yes -- you're dead on.

For those of you who want to see which countries are in denial, check out this map:
commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Fertility_rate_world_map.PNG
You'll see that birth rates in Africa remain obscenely high (I read recently that the birth rate in Rwanda is 8.3, and yes, some scholars think that the genocide there was related to overcrowding and lack of land -- Jared Diamond puts forward the argument in his excellent book, _Collapse_), while some Islamic nations in the Middle East are also out of control.
And it's absolutely wonderful that we're able to discuss this rationally and without flinging insults at one another ...
Anna
Anna Kirkwood Graham, J.D., Ph.D.
"There is no trifling with nature; it is always true, grave and severe; it is always in the right, and the faults and errors fall to our share."
-- Goethe

Since we consume much more per person than anywhere else on the planet, it would seem that slowing population growth here is important and something over which we may have more control since it is our country. Birth control information and technology and abortion services should be widely available, and they are not. Religious objections prevent access to women and girls all over the U.S. And, then we have the complicated question of immigration in our mix.

There are many steps that should be taken to assist other countries at the same time. Some are having amazing success while others, as suggested, seem to be in denial. Addressing crushing poverty is certainly a priority in making progress with this issue. Making birth control information and technology available is a part of the way forward, but it must be part of a larger vision for quality of life and sustainability.

Tracy

Tracy Dobson, J.D.
Professor, Fisheries & Wildlife
Michigan State University