Bees and gardening in Michigan - Re: E-M:/ Honey bees

Enviro-Mich message from "Lowell Prag" <lprag@mail.msen.com>

On Thu, February 15, 2007 5:04 pm, Mary Novrocki wrote:

--- see below ---

Hello Mary,

In Michigan and throughout the country, the honey bee population has been
decimated by mites, greatly affecting those who depend upon bees to
pollinate their orchards, etc.

As a result, there has been keen interest in orchard mason bees to
supplement the decreased population of honey bees.

However, if you also want honey production with your bee population,
orchard mason bees don?t build honey hives like honey bees.

If you are interested in starting your own colony of honey bees, this
supplier is one of the best for the precut frames and other materials that
you will need to house and handle the bees:
http://www.mannlakeltd.com/

You also need to buy a queen bee.
Excellent places in Michigan:
BLOSSOMLAND SUPPLY
http://www.blossomland.com/
GROEB FARMS
http://www.groebfarms.com/
SUPERIOR HONEY FARMS
http://www.ziaqueenbees.com/

Best beginners book on raising honey bees:
The New Starting Right With Bees
http://www.amazon.com/New-Starting-Right-Bees-Beekeeping/dp/0686209354/sr=1-1/qid=1171652496/ref=sr_1_1/102-8325156-2559329?ie=UTF8&s=books

For city gardeners, if you want to attract all types of bees to pollinate
your garden and fruit trees, you need to provide plants which attract them
throughout the growing season.

Here is an excellent seed mix for that:
http://www.territorial-seed.com/stores/1/Honey_Bee_Flower_Mix_P961.cfm
List of all the plants in the mix:
http://www.territorial-seed.com/stores/1/Honey_Bee_Flower_Mix_Growing_G_W99C446.cfm

You also want to attract beneficial insects who eat the bad guys in your
garden, rather than using pesticides which kill both the good guys and bad
guys.

Here is an excellent seed mix for that:
http://www.territorial-seed.com/stores/1/Beneficial_Bug_Mix_P966C240.cfm
List of all the plants in the mix:
http://www.territorial-seed.com/stores/1/Beneficial_Bug_Flower_Mix_Grow_W98C446.cfm

Garden crops that the bees will pollinate:

Best selection of open pollinated vegetable seeds in the USA.
http://www.rareseeds.com/

Also consider edible landscaping with potted plants and trees
that are ready to plant from this excellent mail order supplier:
http://ediblelandscaping.com/toc.htm

Michigan's best native fruit and nut trees and much more:
http://oikostreecrops.com/store/home.asp

Michigan's best selection of commercial fruit trees and root stocks
from a supplier who also sells to home gardeners:
http://www.forfruittrees.com/

Michigan's best blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and much more:
http://hartmannsplantcompany.com

CONCLUSION:

Bees are my favorite creature on what's left of Mother Earth, and if you
follow some of the above, you will definitely have happy bees and in turn,
a bountiful harvest.

Regards,

Lowell Prag