E-M:/ Michigan Environmental Council Capitol Update 2-16-07

A poll commissioned by MIRS and the Detroit News this week found that Michigan residents thought lawmakers should make support for energy efficiency and renewable resources a top priority this year.  The poll was conducted of individuals and businesses.  Over 80% of both groups thought more should be done to promote energy efficiency within the state.

Michigan resident spend over $20 billion a year to buy fuel.  For every 1% more efficient we become $200 million is left in our pockets to make ends meet, or make our businesses more competitive.  Its time to invest in our energy independence.

Senate

In Committee:

Energy Policy will meet on Thursday (2/22) at 1:00 pm for a presentation by Peter Lark, Chairman of MPSC on the 21st Century Energy Plan.

Health Policy will meet on Wednesday (2/21) at 3:00 pm to take up:

SB 132 – A bill to require that children entering sixth grade receive the HPV vaccination and that the department consult with the Michigan advisory committee on immunizations.

SB 133 – A bill to require that sixth grade pupils receive the HPV immunization or information.

Transportation will meet on Tuesday (2/20) at 1:00 pm for a presentation by the County Road Association of Michigan.

Appropriations: Transportation will meet on Wednesday (2/21) at 8:30 am to take up the Department of Transportation Budget

House

In Committee:

Energy and Technology will meet on Wednesday (2/21) at 9:00 am for a presentation by Wolverine Power regarding a new base load power plant in Rogers City.

Great Lakes and Environment will meet on Wednesday (2/21) at 12:00 pm for a presentation by Ken DeBeaussaert and to take up:

HR 17 – A resolution to memorialize the US Congress to enact the Great Lakes Asian Carp Barrier Act.

Health Policy will meet on Thursday (2/22) at 9:00 am for a presentation by the Department of Community Health.

Agriculture will meet on Tuesday (2/20) at 12:00 pm for a presentation by Mitch Irwin, Director of the Michigan Department of Agriculture.

Appropriations: Community Health will meet on Tuesday (2/20) at 8:30 am for the department’s presentation on the budget recommendations for public health and health policy, among others.

Appropriations: Environmental Quality will meet on Wednesday (2/21) at 10:30 am.

Appropriations: Natural Resources will meet on Wednesday (2/21) at 10:30 am.

Transportation will meet on Thursday (2/22) at 10:30 am for presentation on transportation funding.

Submitted by:

James Clift
Kate Madigan
Michigan Environmental Council