From: owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
[mailto:owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net] On Behalf Of Larry Nooden
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 1:28 PM
To: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
Subject: Re: E-M:/ Free Press Article on Global Warming

These global changes have been clear to the scientific community for a long
time (see for ex.  HOUGHTON RA, WOODWELL GM
GLOBAL CLIMATIC-CHANGE SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN 260 (4): 36-44 APR 1989).  This
article generated a lot of criticism (extremist sensationalism), because it
clearly diagramed what global-warming-generated rises in sea level would do
to to the US coasts.

What has changed is that the evidence is so overwhelming that it can not be
smothered with disinformation and pressure on the scientists.   Any
scientist in the US who has dared to raise environmental issues that might
have economic impact has been subjected to a lot (sometimes enormous)
pressure.  For example, the hapless geologist who reported back in the
early 1960s that the ice cap on Greenland showed increasing levels of lead
falling out of the atmosphere and this might be from leaded gasoline was
vilified as a communist trying to destroy our economy.  The problem is not
over, and the US is still the last industrialized nation to begin to come
to grips with global warming and the needed changes in economic activities.

There is an even worse situation continuing- Any scientist who speaks out
publicly about global economic sustainability, the problems caused by the
rising human population and immigration/transmigration issues is vilified
by both right and left, often branded as a Nazi-type.  This is a
multi-faceted problem, and you can not focus on just one facet.  It's like
the ancient Hindoo fable about the 6 blind men each trying understand the
shape of an elephant by grasping just one part.  And, each pronouncing
strongly on their concept of the elephant.

It is not humane to let these problems continue to fester and even grow
worse.  Transmigration is not even a short-term solution.  Noone can
understand this problem unless they have been closely involved with the
world's poorest populations.  I have closely witnessed people living like
rats in a dump.

--On Monday, February 19, 2007 5:51 PM -0500 Gary Stock
<gstock@net-link.net> wrote:

> Enviro-Mich message from Gary Stock <gstock@net-link.net>
>

> Absolutely; the comments being posted on that Freep story are stunning.
> You  see the results of such ignorance every day, you hear the voice of
> such arrogance at every public meeting -- but it still seems
> inconceivable that so many people have so little grasp of basic science,
> history, economics, and so forth.
>
> Their remarkable lack (or distortion) of logic almost makes it funny.
>
> Almost... but not quite.
>
> GS
>

> William Tobler wrote:
>
>> The republican ostriches certainly have their troops out in the
>> reader's comments.
>>
>> It is really depressing to see so many people in denial, and who
>> can't even comment honestly about the report whether they believe
>> in it or not.
>

>>>  Also, note in today's Detroit Free Press an excellent article on
>>>  the impact of global warming on Michigan and speakers (particularly
>>>  Kathryn Savoie) who travel the state to present Al Gore's slide show.
>>>
>>>    Michiganders preach Al Gore's global warming gospel
>>>    http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070219/NEWS06/7021
>>>    90374

> Gary Stock                                        gstock@unblinking.com
> UnBlinking                                   http://www.unblinking.com/
> Googlewhack                                 http://www.googlewhack.com/
>
>      The best proof for a claim that terrorists are crazy or evil
>      would be to acknowledge that the White House is full of them

> enviro-mich"

enviro-mich"