Re: E-M:/ What You Wont See in The Alpena News

HAMILTREEF wrote:

> John Flesher of the Associated Press often has the same articles
> appear in more than one newspaper for larger exposure.

True:  rest assured that people in _many_ places are reading the full
release issued by AP!

I can't speak to the politics of the Alpena News -- though no hijinks
are out of bounds for some local newspapers.  However, I can point out
that the 'oniWire' path format:

   http://www.thealpenanews.com/oniWire/oniWireDetails.asp?articleID=17683

...suggests that Alpena grabs a feed from MarketWire, or some other
service using an 'iWire' mark.  A few local newspapers do permit free
viewing of such news abstracts, but require registration (or even
subscription) to read full articles.  That's not very common, but it
does occur.

Most media whose URL's contain /ap/ will show the full story:

   http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/02/21/ap3448660.html

My 'real job' is managing the Nexcerpt service, which monitors, dedupes,
and organizes online clippings.  It's a bit sad to realize how much
"news" just flows automatically into every city and town, with no human intervention!

Nexcerpt automatically excluded dozens of dupes of this story, all
copies of one original.  Google News sees many copies:

   http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&tab=wn&ncl=1113722565

After you begin to notice dupes, the patterns just leap out at you:

   http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=6115336
   http://www.wstm.com/Global/story.asp?S=6115336

You'd be able to plug in any of 200+ other NBC affiliates there:  wtnh,
woodtv, wqad, eyewitnessnewstv, wlns... all over the country.

Same thing with the family where M-Live belongs:

   http://www.oregonlive.com/newsflash/business/index.ssf?/base/news-41/1172022070210690.xml&storylist=autonews2
        http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/business/index.ssf?/base/news-41/1172022070210690.xml&storylist=autonews2

...which includes papers in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida and so on.

The MLD group is huge, and all use the same article ID's:

   http://dwb.newsobserver.com/24hour/nation/story/3558341p-12789118c.html
         http://www.modbee.com/24hour/nation/story/3558341p-12789118c.html

That works for the Miami Herald, Akron Beacon Journal, Biloxi Sun
Herald,  Contra Costa Times, Philadelphia Inquirer, Charlotte
Observer... and dozens more.

At least 200 papers (Toledo Blade, Cincinnati Enquirer, Des Moines
Register, Reno Gazette Journal, Wausau Daily Herald, Bend Bulletin, etc,
etc...) match this basic pattern:

   http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070221/BUSINESS/70221007

...although they do vary that structure a bit.

Others manipulate the format of the same article ID wildly:

   http://www.canadianbusiness.com/markets/market_news/article.jsp?content=D8NE61I80

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8NE61I80.htm

Oddly, some related papers pick up exactly the same story then
arbitrarily assign different numbers:

   http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-cement-mercury,0,4181077.story?coll=sns-ap-nation-headlines
   http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-cement-mercury,1,7377379.story?coll=sns-ap-nation-headlines

Just another challenge for the programmers  :-)

GS

     The best proof for a claim that terrorists are crazy or evil
     would be to acknowledge that the White House is full of them