E-M:/ Announcing a conference on Invasive Plants; April 28, 2007 in Troy MI

THE GARDENERS' GUILD

in cooperation with the

Nature Conservancy and Wild Ones

presents

INVASIVES IOI: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

When: April 28, 2007 8:00 am - 3:00 pm

Registration and coffee at 8:00 am

Program begins at 9:00 am

Lunch 11:45 - 12:45

Adjournment  3:00 pm

Location: MSU Conference Center, 811 West Square Lake Rd., Troy, MI 48098

Phone: 248-879-2456   Exit #72 off I-75; a half-mile north on Crooks Road

Program: In this comprehensive symposium you will learn how invasive plants are changing our gardens, fields and forests forever. You will also learn what you and others can do to help win this battle to save our native landscape.

You will learn how to identify invasives plants in their various stages of growth and how to control them safely with tools and herbicides specific to each plant—and most importantly, why you would want to. It's surprisingly fast and easy to control large numbers of invasive plants with the correct information.

Symposium Garden Shop: A choice selection of plants, tools and books, as well as handouts covering a wide variety of information, will be available before, during and after the program.

Speakers and their topics:

Doug Pearsall, PhD—Introduction for the Nature Conservancy

Valerie Vartanian, Nature Conservancy Horticulture Liaison—Invasive Plants: Saving Biodiversity in your own Backyard.

Steve Woods—Top Fifteen Michigan Invasive Plants:

PART I—How to Identify them in all Seasons;

PART II—Tools, Herbicides, Techniques for their Eradication.

Anton Reznicek, PhD, Curator University of Michigan Herbarium—

Michigan’s Natural Plant Heritage: Our Disappearing Treasures.

Registration fee: $55.00 includes coffee break, lunch in the dining room, printed materials.

To Register:  Mail check or send credit card information to:

The Gardeners' Guild, 1371 Pembroke, Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304

To view program and register online: http://www.for-wild.org/gardenersguild

Questions?  Call: Sylvia Paddy—248-646-7675 or Colleen Traylor—248-627-6872