E-M:/ RE: / Michigan's Nuclear Question

Dave et al:

I appreciate you posting this because the concept of DTE wanting to build a new nuclear facility in Michigan is so ludicrous that I think a lot of folks have had a hard time reacting to it at all. Jack Lessenberry’s piece hits a lot of the extraordinary problems with this source of electricity, particularly for a place like Michigan, in the heart of the Great Lakes.

Yet it is clear that the company is floating this balloon and trying hard to sell the idea, particularly to environmentalists, as if it is somehow a “solution” to the problem of global warming.  Golly gee -- nukes don’t produce carbon dioxide or mercury pollution like coal plants!  True -- they also don’t give you acne or bad breath, but that sort of misses the point!

Unfortunately, the point has been missed in a lot of ways in the debate about electric energy capacity in the state of Michigan.  The environmental community keeps pointing out that the BEST way, CHEAPEST way, most SUSTAINABLE way to get the electricity we need for investing in the 21st Century is to STOP WASTING IT and create real renewable sources.  That is the ONLY sensible thing to do, it is clearly the FIRST thing that must be done if we are to be smart about the future of Michigan, but we instead have the effort by the industry to run the propaganda machine and pretend this is a question of whether we want a nuke or a coal plant.

Let’s just talk about one obvious area where a large amount of electricity is routinely used without so much as a blink of an eye: lighting of parking lots.  Everyone has probably seen the “Earth at night” photos (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap001127.html ) which shows how much light we are creating, particularly in North America.  Among the most obvious sources of light pollution are parking lots where gobs of electricity are eaten up in response to the concern that there might be a safety issue associated with darkness.  But instead of asking the question of how do we assure that parking lots are safe, we seem to have culturally bought the line that keeping them lit up as much as daylight is the only way to make them safe.  The folks who generate the electricity are often the ones making this argument, yet we are not challenging those assumptions.  Police officers support this, and so others do as well -- but instead of ever going back and asking if the Wal-Mart ¼ mile from my house needs to have its extraordinarily bright parking lot lights all left on full power all night so that they shine in the windows of all the neighbors even though the store is only open until 10 or 11 at night, we as a society have simply accepted as a given that our only choice is to rob our future generations of a viable planet in order to possibly deter some potential criminal someday.

Energy efficiency is not about doing without -- it is about “investing” our brainpower in the future of Michigan and making sure the 21st Century is in fact one where we are competitive by being a heck of a lot smarter, using our resources more intelligently, and not allowing companies like DTE to convince us that we get to choose only from column A or B.  It is hard to think anyone would take more nukes in Michigan seriously -- but apparently DTE and others are banking on not overestimating the willingness and ability of Michiganders to actually engage creatively in trying to solve our energy problems.

Anne Woiwode, State Director

Sierra Club Michigan Chapter

(517) 484-2372