Re: E-M:/ RE: / Michigan's Nuclear Question

Yeah, eh, I'm going to commit an act of heresy...

Here are some energy numbers.  Michigan gets 60 percent of its electricity from coal, another 24 percent from nuclear power, and about 13 percent from natural gas (have I gone over 100 percent yet ... I'm horrible with numbers).  A very small fraction comes from renewables.  And, we all know that our energy needs are expected to go up, and that our existing nuclear power plants will eventually become too old to be serviceable.

Now, I think we all agree that eventually, it would be preferable if we got all of our power from renewables, and maybe I missed this somewhere (always possible), but I have yet to see a plan by which we can ramp up our use of renewables to cover everything we now get from fossil fuels and nuclear, and also to cover future need.

Given a choice, I would much rather deal with spent nuclear reactor fuel rods than I would with the potential for crop failures, catastrophic heat waves, and swamped coastal cities, which is what I interpret to be the eventual outcome of our continued reliance on fossil fuels (natural gas is likely to become one of those things -- like oil -- that competition will drive up the prices for).  I'm aware of clean coal, but sequestering emissions underground seems less like "clean" coal to me and more "sweeping emissions under the carpet" coal (and, especially in Michigan, where so much of our underground area is filled with, you know, water; or where we store spare natural gas to prevent winter shortages).  Besides, production of coal inevitably means digging into the earth to get it, which is either dangerous to people or involves sawing off the top of a mountain and depositing it into a valley somewhere.

That leads me, I'm sorry to report, to increased reliance on nuclear power.  What would we do with the waste, you ask?  Good question (on the other hand, I think a strong case could be made that the Texas panhandle is deserving of punishment lasting a few centuries for what they foisted off on us six years ago*).  Someone, somewhere, is going to get stuck with some very low property values (as long as the geology isn't bolloxed up this time)**.

I also remember reading a few years ago that the Chinese were going to go in heavily for nuclear power, based on the new pebble reactors.  Yes, I know, pebble reactors and their assorted problems (most of them are basically the same as traditional nuclear power -- waste and safety).  On the other hand, the thinking is that you can fairly safely ratchet up the heat in a pebble reactor and, through various processes that I can't describe at the moment, come up with hydrogen, which you can then use to power cars that run on hydrogen fuel cells.  Plus, it's said these kinds of reactors are neither as capital intensive or as labor intensive as building them used to be.

How pie-in-the-sky is all of this?  I have no real idea, mostly because in this country the conversation about nuclear power is either about how wonderful it is, or about how evil it is.  Ideally, however, I don't see it as an either/or proposition.  I also see no reason why development of nuclear power not be tied to the development of renewable resources ... that is, if someone wants to build a nuclear power plant, they also put money to developing something that could take up the slack when the reactor has reached the end of its useful life.

I'm all for energy efficiency.  Heck, when it gets cold outside, I block off part of my apartment and stay close to the registers to conserve energy.  But, again, I just don't see the numbers realistically lining up so that you can bridge the gap between supply and demand purely by conservation and renewables.

*--tongue-in-cheek suggestion.

**--No, if my backyard were chosen, and I felt the choice and planning were both thorough and deliberate, I would not have a problem with the storage of the nation's spent nuclear fuel in my background.