E-M:/ Inquiry: Are cornstarch-based packing "peanuts" safe for composting?

From: Gannon, John E.
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2007 8:05 AM
To: 'majordomo@great-lakes.net'
Subject: Inquiry: Are cornstarch-based packing "peanuts" safe for composting?

I am an organic veggie gardener and try to reduce toxics in our family's food intake wherever possible.  Does anyone know if water-soluble cornstarch-based packing "peanuts" are safe for composting?  What's in those peanuts besides cornstarch?   Anything we should be concerned about?  My son and my wife have small businesses that involve a lot high mail-order packages, so I have a ready supply of the packing "peanuts" and the water-soluble ones seem to be more in use these days than the petroleum-based styrofoam ones.
Thanks!
John

John E. Gannon
Dexter, MI