E-M:/ MORE: THE BEST: Energy efficient water heaters

Enviro-Mich message from "Lowell Prag" <lprag@mail.msen.com>

On Wed, March 21, 2007 11:04 am, Mike Frederick wrote:

... see below ...

Greetings,

The best tankless hot water heaters:

Takagi for use with natural gas or propane. Their units also have
a rate of rise adjustment for use with solar hot water panels.

i.e. if your solar hot water panels supply the water at 90 F and you want it
to be heated to 120 F., the Takagi just boosts it that 30 F. difference.

http://www.takagi.com/

Contact Takagi for Michigan dealers and/or use Google to find the best
online prices.

AquaStar is also a popular tankless unit sold by Home Depot but it is not
as good as Takagi and it costs more, as you have to buy the exhaust system
separately.

Remember, if you superinsulate your home in Michigan, r60 roof, r40 walls,
and r20 foundation, (only adds 10% to the cost of construction or
retrofit) and also have the right amount of windows for utilizing the
Sun's heat during the Winter (solar gain), you can reduce your heat load
by 90%.

At that point, a small tankless hot water heater can heat your entire home
with a hydronic heating system.

In addition, you can then almost eliminate your heating costs with the
installation of a solar hot water heater, working in conjunction with the
tankless hot water heater, as even during a Michigan Winter, a solar hot
water heater will supply a significant part of your hot water supply.

The best solar hot water heaters:

Evacuated tube type, rather than flat panel.

These Solar Patriot models are made in China and dollar for dollar,
are the best evacuated tube type on the market:

http://www.btfsolar.com/specifications.htm

That supplier is in Michigan.
http://www.btfsolar.com/

Last: if we would concentrate our efforts to raise the home building codes
in Michigan to superinsulation levels, we could drastically reduce fossil
fuel consumption in the residential sector. The same superinsulation
technology can also be applied to the commercial and industrial sectors.

Regards,

Lowell Prag