E-M:/ John Dingell's committee moves foreign solid waste bill

NEWS RELEASE

Committee on Energy and Commerce

Congressman John D. Dingell, Chairman

For Immediate Release                                  Contact:  Jodi Seth or Alec Gerlach

March 22, 2007                                                     202-225-5735

Dingell's Committee Approves Regulating Foreign Solid Waste

Next Step: House Floor

       Washington, D.C. -  The Committee on Energy and Commerce today passed H.R. 518, the International Solid Waste Importation and Management Act of 2007 with bipartisan support.  The bill, sponsored by Committee Chairman John D. Dingell, passed by a voice vote.  H.R. 518 is cosponsored by several Members of the committee, including Rep. Fred Upton (R-MI), Rep. Mike Rogers (R-MI), Rep. Bart Stupak (D-MI), Rep. Albert Wynn (D-MI) and Rep. Tammy Baldwin (D-WI).

        "Year after year, our neighbors to the north continue to bring trash through Detroit and Port Huron into Michigan's 56,000 square miles," said Dingell.  "It is my opinion that the Canadians would do well to dispose of it in their own four million square miles rather than causing detriment to our roads and subjecting our citizens to further environmental and security risks."

        The International Solid Waste Importation and Management Act of 2007 would ensure that the bilateral U.S.-Canadian Agreement concerning the transboundary movement of hazardous waste is implemented and enforced.  In 1992, the U.S. and Canada agreed that "notice and consent" provisions would apply to municipal solid waste.  This bill requires the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency to issue regulations to implement the agreement.  H.R. 518 also authorizes states to enact laws or issue regulations restricting the receipt of foreign municipal solid waste until the Administrator issues final regulations to implement the bilateral agreement.

        The International Solid Waste Importation and Management Act of 2006 was passed by voice vote in the House in the 109th Congress.  The language of H.R. 518 is identical to that bill.

- 30 -

PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL.  IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS CALL (202) 225-5735. THANK YOU.

Alex J. Sagady & Associates        http://www.sagady.com

Prospectus at:  http://www.sagady.com/sagady.pdf

657 Spartan Ave,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com