Re: E-M:/ STEP IT UP 2007

MSU could possibly start a trend with university LED lighting.  I know that Ann Arbor has been doing a pilot with LED streetlights.  Seems that if universities, and communities start implementing more, the demand is more, the costs go down as the demand increases.  and better yet, a reduction in their carbon footprint and in their operational energy costs.

Amy A Butler
Chief, Environmental Science and Services
DEQ
517-241-0490

>>> "Anna Dorothy Graham" <grahama9@msu.edu> 3/23/2007 8:42:51 AM >>>
Enviro-Mich message from "Anna Dorothy Graham" <grahama9@msu.edu>

You know, one thing I always wonder, when I'm on the MSU campus at night, is
whether all of the lighting there is necessary at night?  Surely a lot of
the signage could be turned off, as could the high intensity lights around
the stadia and arenas, when there are no events.
I'm not actually trying to single out MSU -- I think the same thing about
Lansing, East Lansing, and so on -- there are so many signs still lit up at
night after businesses close (some businesses not only have their own signs,
but lighted ads for brands they sell, and so on), as well as a lot of
lighting in parking lots after business there has ceased.  I suppose there's
a necessity for lights inside buildings at night for security reasons, but
couldn't that all be switched over to compact fluorescent or LED lighting?

Maybe the universities could lead communities along the way of eliminating
unnecessary use of lighting and reducing energy use that way.
Anna

Jessica Marie Pociask writes:

> Enviro-Mich message from "Jessica Marie Pociask" <pociask1@msu.edu>
>
> Step it Up MSU!
>
> Climate change is upon us, and many times we ask ourselves "what can I
> do?" Well now is your chance to make a difference for your community, the
> nation, and the world. "Step it Up MSU!, will be a beginning place for
> some, and a continuation of an environmental battle for others. At
> 11:00am, April 14th, hundreds will gather on Michigan State University's
> campus to be a part of an Earth Cause. Michigan based speakers will be on
> hand to discuss what you can do to live more sustainably, as well as what
> actions you can take to influence local, state, and national governments.
> The climax will be at noon, when everyone will gather for a picture to be
> sent to congress to let them know that legislation for reductions in
> greenhouse gas emissions needs to be passed now!
>
> For more information on how you can get involved go to Stepitup2007.org
>
> Hope to see you there!

> ENVIRO-MICH:  Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental
> and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action.   Archives at
>
> Postings to:  enviro-mich@great-lakes.net      For info, send email to
> majordomo@great-lakes.net  with a one-line message body of  "info
> enviro-mich"

Anna Kirkwood Graham, J.D., Ph.D.
"There is no trifling with nature; it is always true, grave and severe; it
is always in the right, and the faults and errors fall to our share."
-- Goethe