Re: E-M:/ STEP IT UP 2007

Enviro-Mich message from "Anna Dorothy Graham" <grahama9@msu.edu>

Super! Now we just need the local community to pay attention -- anyone on the local planning commission out there?
Anna

I couldn't agree more. The great thing about hosting this campaign on Michigan State's campus, is that ECO, a student environmental group, is amassing a petition with over 4000 signatures to encourage the MSU administration to act in an according manner, i.e. implementing a compact florescent lighting system.

This rally has a dual cause in that it not only is it sending a powerful message to Congress, but also to the MSU community that changes need to be made, and they need to be made now. This rally is also about educating others how to reduce their carbon footprint while we wait for changes in legislation and administration in the meantime. As Gandhi said "You must be the change you wish to see in the world", and as a pioneering Land Grant university, it is time for MSU to "Step it up" and lead by example.

Jessica Pociask
Michigan State University Undergrad
Park, Recreation and Tourism Resources

Amy Butler writes:

MSU could possibly start a trend with university LED lighting. I know
that Ann Arbor has been doing a pilot with LED streetlights. Seems that
if universities, and communities start implementing more, the demand is
more, the costs go down as the demand increases. and better yet, a
reduction in their carbon footprint and in their operational energy
costs. Amy A Butler
Chief, Environmental Science and Services
DEQ 517-241-0490

"Anna Dorothy Graham" <grahama9@msu.edu> 3/23/2007 8:42:51 AM >>>

Enviro-Mich message from "Anna Dorothy Graham" <grahama9@msu.edu>

You know, one thing I always wonder, when I'm on the MSU campus at
night, is whether all of the lighting there is necessary at night? Surely a lot
of the signage could be turned off, as could the high intensity lights
around the stadia and arenas, when there are no events.
I'm not actually trying to single out MSU -- I think the same thing
about Lansing, East Lansing, and so on -- there are so many signs still lit
up at night after businesses close (some businesses not only have their own
signs, but lighted ads for brands they sell, and so on), as well as a lot of lighting in parking lots after business there has ceased. I suppose
there's a necessity for lights inside buildings at night for security reasons,
but couldn't that all be switched over to compact fluorescent or LED
lighting?

Maybe the universities could lead communities along the way of
eliminating unnecessary use of lighting and reducing energy use that way.
Anna

Jessica Marie Pociask writes:

Enviro-Mich message from "Jessica Marie Pociask" <pociask1@msu.edu>

Step it Up MSU!

Climate change is upon us, and many times we ask ourselves "what can
do?" Well now is your chance to make a difference for your community,
the
nation, and the world. "Step it Up MSU!, will be a beginning place
for
some, and a continuation of an environmental battle for others. At 11:00am, April 14th, hundreds will gather on Michigan State
University's
campus to be a part of an Earth Cause. Michigan based speakers will
be on
hand to discuss what you can do to live more sustainably, as well as
what
actions you can take to influence local, state, and national
governments.
The climax will be at noon, when everyone will gather for a picture
to be
sent to congress to let them know that legislation for reductions in

greenhouse gas emissions needs to be passed now!

For more information on how you can get involved go to
Stepitup2007.org

Hope to see you there!

============================================================== ENVIRO-MICH: Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action. Archives
at

Postings to: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net For info, send email

Anna Kirkwood Graham, J.D., Ph.D.
"There is no trifling with nature; it is always true, grave and severe;
it is always in the right, and the faults and errors fall to our share."
-- Goethe

ENVIRO-MICH: Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental
and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action. Archives
at

majordomo@great-lakes.net with a one-line message body of "info
enviro-mich"