E-M:/ MDEQ Issues Two Ethanol Plant Permits with No Public Notice

I've just learned that Michigan DEQ issued two ethanol plant
air discharge permits with no public notice at all.....

...for NextGen in McBain in Missauki County and for
NextGen in Watervliet in Berrien County.

MDEQ Air Division has some kind of policy about not providing
for public notice and comment if the expected emissions are less than
90% of the major stationary source threshold and no one requests
a public hearing or comment period.

As a result, you can have a significant industrial operation open up
in your neighborhood without any prior public notice of a pending air
pollution permit.

I don't know when the 90% guidance was written, but this constitutes, in my
opinion, a major defect in Michigan's air pollution permitting program and
delegation of authority from US EPA.

657 Spartan Ave,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com