Re: E-M:/ World Water Day/Nestles

MICHDAVE wrote:

> Published on Thursday, March 22, 2007 by CommonDreams.org
> A Drop In The Bucket
> by Scott Klinger
>
>  http://www.commondreams.org/views07/0322-30.htm
>
> And yet this World Water Day, a growing number of corporations,
> including Coke, Nestle and Starbucks ask us to believe that they
> offer the solution to the world's water woes, in a public relations
> effort that seeks to draw attention away from corporation's role in
> helping to create the problem.

Similar sentiments, but more geopolitical, with a religious twist:

   http://service.nexcerpt.com/r_text.php?article_id=63355984

   http://www.forward.com/articles/water-is-more-than-just-a-liquid-asset/

   Water Is More Than Just A Liquid Asset
   Lawrence Bush | Fri. Mar 23, 2007

   ...According to one Hasidic teaching, Jews endured centuries of
   slavery in Egypt in order to learn that wealth comes from God,
   not from the Nile River...

   ...Bottled water, another profit center of water privatization,
   now grosses $100 billion annually worldwide ? considerably more,
   it is worth noting, than the $30 billion required to address the
   water crisis.

   Here in the United States, the Perrier subsidiary of Nestlé is
   aggressively lobbying to exploit the Great Lakes watershed, from
   which it bottles its Ice Mountain brand spring water.  The efforts
   of the Swiss-based company, which according to the Beverage
   Marketing Corporation controls one-third of the American bottled-
   water market, has been met with multiple lawsuits and citizen protests...

As these articles demonstrate, Michigan looms large on the political
radar globally.  We can not expect other states -- let alone other
nations -- to take resource conservation issues seriously while our own
elected officials refuse to do so.

If Michigan continues to exhibit this severe lack of leadership and
stewardship, we will be judged harshly both by the international
community in the near future, and by all of posterity.

Water Wonderland, indeed.

GS

     The best proof for a claim that terrorists are crazy or evil
     would be to acknowledge that the White House is full of them