Subject: Re: E-M:/ MSU Profs Pimping for the CAFOS....
From:    "Anna Dorothy Graham" <grahama9@msu.edu>
Date:    Fri, March 23, 2007 11:29 am
To:      enviro-mich@great-lakes.net

Enviro-Mich message from "Anna Dorothy Graham" <grahama9@msu.edu>

Oh, yes, absolutely -- all I'm trying to point out is that there is a
certain amount of shortsightedness in fighting the consequences of
overpopulation while not being willing to fight overpopulation in the
first  place, and many of us on this list seem not to be able to see the
forest for  the trees.

Enviro-Mich message from David Holtz <dholtz@cleanwater.org>

> Whether or not you like CAFOs and the rot that they bring to rural
communities, I think we should all be able to agree that these
industrial  operations should be treated no differently than municipal
sewage  operations in terms of requirements for treating water, and
should be  subject to air quality standards as well. That's what goes to
the heart of  my rancor over these CAFOs.  --David

> Anna Dorothy Graham wrote:
Enviro-Mich message from "Anna Dorothy Graham" <grahama9@msu.edu>

>> You know, I'm always a little bemused by the rancor that CAFOs arouse
on  this list --
>> Not that I'm in favor of them -- they're smelly, inhumane and
polluting,  of course.  But how anyone thinks that we're going to be
able to feed all  of America without intensive agricultural techniques,
when the population  is over 300,000,000 already, and we don't bother
to control it even by  attempting to exclude people who come here
illegally, much less by  encouraging more stringent family planning, is
beyond me.  We're losing  farmland to development by a rate that even
surpasses our population  growth, which is bad enough.  Where is all
the food we eat supposed to  come from?
>> The root case of most environmental harm is TOO MANY PEOPLE CONSUMING
TOO  MUCH STUFF -- and that goes for the U.S. as much as anywhere else
on  earth.
>> Anna
>> Michigan Beachwalker writes:
 -

>>> Enviro-Mich message from "Michigan Beachwalker"
>>> <mibeachwalker@gmail.com>
 -

>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> This is unbelievable....Read the following article where all of the
endowed professors at MSU are supporting the CAFOs...even saying they
would like to live next door to them when asked the question by
concerned citizens!!
>>> I say, give them their wish.....Locate all new CAFOs in Ingham County,
upwind from the Michigan State University Campus.
>>> Let President Luanna Simons and the MSU Board of Trustees know of your
concerns about the comments from these MSU "experts"!!

>>> CAFO concerns addressed at livestock forum
>>> March 22, 2007
>>> Do the benefits out weight the costs?
>>> That was the question of the hour â?? or of the two and a half hours
â?? at the first of a two-part series addressing livestock issues held
at Alma College Tuesday night. Organized by Michigan University
>>> Extension, the city of Alma and Greater Gratiot Development, the event
solicited questions from the public on concerns related to all aspects
of livestock operations and submitted them to a panel of experts who
reviewed and answered the questions.
>>> By Erica Goff [Gratiot County Herald...link to full article below]
March 22, 2007
>>> Do the benefits out weight the costs?
>>> That was the question of the hour â?? or of the two and a half hours
â?? at the first of a two-part series addressing livestock issues held
at Alma College Tuesday night. Organized by Michigan University
>>> Extension, the city of Alma and Greater Gratiot Development, the event
solicited questions from the public on concerns related to all aspects
of livestock operations and submitted them to a panel of experts who
reviewed and answered the questions.
>>> Panelists addressed the key topic areas of regulation, water
>>> contamination, aspects of the Right to Farm Act and other policies
related to Concentrated Feeding Operations, or CAFOs. The speakers
developed their presentations based upon submitted questions from
Gratiot County residents and answered individual questions both
prepared and impromptu as presented by the audience. Nearly all of the
over 250 audience members present in the Dow Science building at Alma
College applauded the one question that drove to the heart of the
matter for those concerned about the potential proximity of CAFOs.
That question was: Would you want to live across the road from a CAFO?
The key factor of consideration for panelists was management. If the
operation had sound management, each said they would in fact be
willing to live next to a CAFO.
>>> "I would be more comfortable living next to a well-managed CAFO than
urban issues," said Dr. Glynn Tonsor, assistant professor of
>>> agricultural economics at MSU.
>>> Dr. Patricia Norris, Guyer-Seevers chair in Natural Resources
>>> Conservation at MSU, noted neighbor relations as a key component in
addition to management.
>>> "I would want to live by a CAFO owned by someone I knew and liked and
trusted," she said.
>>> The other presenters, all of whom agreed with Norris and Tonsor, were:
Dr. Joan Rose, Homer Nowlin Chair in water research, MSU; Sheridan
Haack, water researcher, U.S. Geological Survey; Steve Davis, state
conservation engineer for USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service;
Tim Harrigan, assistant professor in biosystems and agricultural
engineering at MSU; and Wayne W. Whitman, environmental manager, Right
to Farm Program, Michigan Department of Agriculture.
>>> The idea to bring these experts to Gratiot County and address some key
issues related to livestock operations initiated from the overwhelming
reliance on the agricultural industry in the area and the growing
concern about CAFOs of various sizes. Greater Gratiot Development,
Inc. President Don Schurr addressed the audience, stating the
>>> community "must utilize all assets to maximize its resources to the
best of its ability," adding the best way to do so is to "build on the
base" that already exists.
>>> "Agriculture is one of those bases in Gratiot County," he said,
utilizing some key statistics in support:
>>> ¨      Gratiot County has 1,018 individual farms
>>> ¨      Agriculture directly creates 1,366 jobs and indirectly creates
 1506 jobs;
>>> ¨      Agriculture accounts for 69.8 percent of land use in the
county; ¨      Agriculture accounts for a total gross receipt of
$114,726,000  per year.
>>> Schurr also noted the understanding of economic and social trends
related to agricultural production is necessary to maximize community
benefit. The goal, he said, of the forums, is to bring information to
the community about the opportunities available in relation to
agriculture and answer questions that exist.
>>> The first topic addressed involved land use, presented by Norris. She
described the Right To Farm Act (RTFA) which, she said, protects the
rights of farmers against nuisance suits while also protecting
citizens from farmers' violations. The RTFA protects farms and farming
operations as defined in state guidelines that have developed over
years of court cases and appeals. To be eligible for protection farm
operations must also adhere to Generally Accepted Agricultural
Management Practices, or GAAMPS, which serve as a major governing
statute for CAFOs.
>>> Highlights of Norris' presentation include:
>>> ¨      RTFA does not affect approval of state and federal
>>> environmental regulations.
>>> ¨      To comply with environmental regulations operations may need
to 'go beyond' GAAMPS, which are designed to minimize environmental
risks.
>>> Economic issues were discussed next, presented by Tonsor. His
>>> overriding message was that "every case can be unique."
>>> "Each case has its own characteristics so while these studies indicate
trends, it is important to remember each case is unique," he said.
Using a number of scientific studies from across the U.S., Tonsor
indicated:
>>> ¨      Impacts on property value decline with distance from the
operation and vary by wind;
>>> ¨      Impacts can be positive or negative: one study noted a 6.6
percent increase in property value following CAFO construction; ¨
 Impacts do not necessary increase with facility size: Tonsor stated
there is often a "preconceived notion that larger facilities have a
greater impact on property value but that is not always the case."
>>> ¨      Impacts may decrease as area becomes more saturated with
livestock.
>>> Tonsor discussed impacts in relation to community as well. He said
because of the extensive activity chain involved in food production,
the economic impact is far reaching in a community.
>>> "What you see on the farm is just one part of the process," he said.
In relation to that notion, Tonsor said greater involvement from the
community with the process will offer greater economic impact. Water
quality issues were discussed next, beginning with Rose who discussed
information pertaining to contaminants. She said sources for
groundwater contaminants include septic systems, waste and
>>> waste/sewage treatment, CAFOs, wildlife and combined sewer overflow.
Haack continued the discussion, stating proper construction and
maintenance of all wells is necessary to prevent against well water
contamination.
>>> Addressing scale, sustainability and environmental impacts, Harrigan
said while larger farms can mean more impacts, they also come with
greater visibility which means greater management responsibility.
Farming management and attention to detail are more important than
scale or type of operation in terms of animal, he added, emphasizing
the panelists' statements that management is key to success and safety
of CAFOs.
>>> Harrigan did note the necessity to monitor and protect sensitive
areas, which should be identified before construction. These involve
proximity to water sources and soil condition nearby.
>>> Manure management is always an area of major concern said Whitman. He
described the process involved in the National Conservation Resource
Services Conservation Practice Standard, the procedure for regulating
manure storage and disposal. It is a "comprehensive and lengthy
process," Whitman stated, that addresses such areas as well
>>> installation distance, storage volume, water table depth, storage pond
liner, storage period, structural design and other factors.
>>> "The bottom line is to make sure the planning, design, implementation
and maintenance of every area of the Practice Standard is achieved,"
he said.
>>> The final presentation involved explanation of DEQ's permitting
process, offered by Ronda Wuycheck, assistant to the Field Operations
Division Chief Water Bureau of MDEQ. She called the permitting process
"fair and reasonable" and stated all information involved in the
process is available to the public.
>>> Following the end of all presentations, questions from the audience
were answered. Some included:
>>> ¨      Should concerned citizens take an active role in any zoning
and land use acts: yes.
>>> ¨      What was the highest fine issued in a large CAFO violation
case and when? $50,000 in 2004.
>>> ¨      What is the number of hogs that defines a medium-sized hog
CAFO? Less than 2,500.
>>> ¨      Are manure pits tested to ensure contaminants are not leaking
into the groundwater? Performance is not tested after construction but
lab tests and liner tests are done prior. A system to test performance
is under development.
>>> <snip>
>>> http://gcherald.com/news/cafo-concerns-addressed-at-livestock-forum.shtm
>>>
>>> ENVIRO-MICH:  Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental and
Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action.   Archives at
>>> Postings to:  enviro-mich@great-lakes.net      For info, send email to
enviro-mich"

>> Anna Kirkwood Graham, J.D., Ph.D.
>> "There is no trifling with nature; it is always true, grave and severe;
 it is always in the right, and the faults and errors fall to our
share." -- Goethe