E-M:/ RPS and Energy Efficiency Status in Michigan

Here's a link to an excellent story in this week's Metro Times discussing the status of a Renewable Portfolio Standard and Energy Efficiency in Michigan.

http://www.metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=10313

The article refers to the Environment Michigan's recent report “Energizing Michigan's Economy” which lays out the environmental and economic benefits of a strong RPS of 20% by 2020, upgrade building codes, establish appliance standards and a statewide Energy Efficiency program of about $225 million per year.  http://www.environmentmichigan.org/newsroom/energy/energy-program-news/clean-electricity-can-energize-michigans-economy-new-study-finds

While the legislature is concentrating on electricity, a Michigan Energy Efficiency program should also include heating savings.  A good example of an Energy Efficiency program is the EPA award winning Efficiency Vermont.   http://www.efficiencyvermont.com/pages/Common/AboutUs/  This program saves ratepayers $2.00 to $3.00 for every dollar spent on the program.  Projecting Vermont's results since 2000, a Michigan Energy Efficiency program could have saved our citizens over $3 billion in utility bills. This amount would have definitely helped our economy and created jobs. (Instead, we gave the money to the utilities to create CO2 and pollution.)

Take care,   frank