RE: E-M:/ Op Ed on Ethanol in Washington Post ----Send copies to Granholm

Enviro-Mich message from "Anne Woiwode" <Anne.Woiwode@sierraclub.org>

MI Beach:

Sorry, but even though I have a fair number of disappointments and
disagreements with the Granholm administration, the simple fact is that the
reason our state is incapable of addressing CAFOs appropriately is because
John Engler, Russ Harding and the Legislature, with the cheering of the Ag
Industrial community, in particular the Farm Bureau, not only took away ALL
the laws and regulations that were intended to protect the environment from
the unbelievable amount of pollution these facilities produce, but they set
us on a track to actively recruit and increase the numbers of these.  Add to
that the actual gutting of the DEQ's budget, and the "drowning government in
a bathtub" strategy that has led to less and less money over time, as well
as more recent legislators' willingness to try to treat CAFOs as if they
were small farms with special treatment, weaker requirements than any other
industry for water and fighting against any other pollution controls, and
you get the mess we have today.

On ethanol, it is not just the Farm Bureau but a lot of the big ag interests
that have pushed this hard, and like a lot of the "good ideas" hatched in a
time of desperation where folks are looking for golden eggs, the full costs
of this technology were not sought or assessed.  Again, the defunding and
declawing of the environmental agencies, started by Big John and his
sidekick Russ, has a lot to do with this as well -- as did ADM and others
aggressive push for the technology. And with so many other states and the
feds jumping on board this same bandwagon, there has been little done to
stop and really examine this issue.

To me the real challenge is that Michigan is still operating on the
assumption that we can have vehicles that will burn just as much fuel and
all we have to do is find new fuels.  Wrong.  The failure of the Big 3
during the past 30 years to get the clear and uncomplicated message that
their salvation is REALLY in energy efficient vehicles means that virtually
all Michigan politicians are seeking a way to keep the huge chariots
running, and ethanol looks like the answer.  What they don't get, following
from George W. Bush's admission that we are "addicted to oil" is that
ethanol is at best the vehicle fuel equivalent of methadone -- it doesn't
really change the addiction, it simply gives a substitute that distracts
from the real need, to overcome the addiction. And as we are seeing, in this
case the addiction to ethanol will likely be no better than the one to gas.

Anne

Anne Woiwode, State Director
Sierra Club Michigan Chapter
(517) 484-2372

Send a copy to Governor Granholm!

How about if everyone on Enviro-Mich printed out a copy and sent it to
the Governor and tell her that her support for ethanol production
facilities all over the state is misguided, at best???  Think it would
have any impact???

Is it just me, or is Granholm turning out to be among the worst
Governor's, from an environmentalist's viewpoint, that we have ever
had?  She sure is in the pocket of the Farm Bureau if you review her
stance on ethanol from corn and her lack of any action on the CAFO
disasters.

> Here is an OpEd that Jennifer Granholm should read
> in today's Washington Post today (Sunday) on ethanol.
>
> Most enviros might benefit as well.
>
> Renewable energy through biomass does not necessarily equal greenhouse gas
control/reductions.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/23/AR2007032301
625_pf.html

> Those Farm Bureau guys lurking on EM would probably benefit as well since
this
> entire issue is going to ultimately pit non-dairy animal agriculture
against corn growers.
> [i.e.  if you take the starch in grain to make ethanol, it isn't there to
finish swine and beef cattle].

> Nearly all of the energy analysis done of ethanol plants assume that
fossil fuel energy used to
> dry spent fermentation grain can be deducted from the energy needed to
produce ethanol....a
> phony argument and a distortion of proper energy analysis to produce
ethanol.

> Alex J. Sagady & Associates        http://www.sagady.com
>
> Environmental Enforcement, Permit/Technical Review, Public Policy,
> Expert Witness Review and Litigation Investigation on Air, Water and
> Waste/Community Environmental and Resource Protection
> Prospectus at:  http://www.sagady.com/sagady.pdf
>
> 657 Spartan Ave,  East Lansing, MI  48823
> (517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com

enviro-mich"