E-M:/ Nestle or the People..

What say you, Michigan?

Nestle or the People?

Who Owns Maine's Water?

By JIM WILFONG
If I had any doubts about the influence of Nestle Inc., the global water giant, in my state, they were dispelled the day last June I received a communication from the Maine Secretary of State (SOS). The SOS is elected by the majority party in the Legislature, currently Democrats, which means he is basically a functionary of the Democratic Party. What he does is what the Democrats want.

A group of us had drafted a ballot initiative to ensure that groundwater in Maine is subject to the same degree of protection that surface waters are. As the law requires, we submitted the proposal to the SOS who then wrote the wording that would appear on the ballot. When I opened the letter from the SOS's office with the final wording, I was stunned.

http://www.counterpunch.org/wilfong03282007.html