Re: E-M:/ Shutting Down Environmental Protection

Anna and Anne,

I don't think there is a statutory basis that exists to
shut down environmental permitting so it probably is
not realistic.

What is realistic is to set up a fee and regulatory structure to support both
permitting, environmental monitoring and enforcement.   We
only have the shell of that now....and the fees we have
now are not sufficient to finance the program.

Every environmental permit should require a fee sufficient to
pay for the level of environmental review and public participation
necessary for its issuance.   Every regulated party should be subject
to annual fees sufficient to finance monitoring and enforcement.

Past attempts to set up such fees have been gelded by "sacred
cow" considerations.....for example, a refusal by the Legislature
to subject agricultural and publicly owned facilities to sufficient fees.
Those sacred cows will have to get new fees sufficient to address
the burden of regulating these facilities.

At 10:23 AM 03/29/2007, you wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from "Anna Dorothy Graham" <grahama9@msu.edu>
>
>I second this motion!  And I don't think it would hurt for others to chime in -- lawmakers need to hear that the electorate considers this an issue.
>>My first pick -- stop issuing ANY new permits of any sort, and put any
>>meager funding there is entirely into enforcement.  Quality of life is what
>>drives investment -- and we can't go back and undo the damage of much of the
>>pollution in this state, we can't give back health to people who were
>>harmed, and clean ups never really restore natural rivers or lands entirely.
>>
>>Anne
>>
>>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>Anne M. Woiwode, State Director, Sierra Club Michigan Chapter  - 109 E.
>>Grand River Avenue, Lansing, MI 48906
>>517-484-2372    fax 517-484-3108 --  <mailto:anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org>
>>anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org
>>Sierra Club Michigan Chapter celebrating our 40th Anniversary on September
>>9, 2007
>>Visit us at  <http://michigan.sierraclub.org/index.shtml>
>>http://michigan.sierraclub.org/index.shtml
>>
>>Act Today: Join our Legislative Alerts System!
>>http://mackinac.sierraclubaction.org
>>Act FOR Tomorrow: Support the Sierra Club Michigan Chapter - contact Wendi
>>Tilden at wendi.tilden@sierraclub.org
>>

>Anna Kirkwood Graham, J.D., Ph.D.
>"There is no trifling with nature; it is always true, grave and severe; it is always in the right, and the faults and errors fall to our share."
>-- Goethe

657 Spartan Ave,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com