Re: E-M:/ Shutting Down Environmental Protection

Enviro-Mich message from "Anna Dorothy Graham" <grahama9@msu.edu>

I don't know -- is there a "right" to a permit, or is it a discretionary function of the state? I know that you can't have frivolous reasons for denying a permit application (I can't remember the exact wording for the standard), but I wonder if an inability to fund the activity of granting of a permit would be frivolous? I think it would be an interesting argument to suggest that environmental enforcement would be the priority, while further permitting would have to await the budgetary resources ...
Dunno.
Anna

Alexander J. Sagady writes:

Anna and Anne,

I don't think there is a statutory basis that exists to shut down environmental permitting so it probably is not realistic.

What is realistic is to set up a fee and regulatory structure to support both permitting, environmental monitoring and enforcement. We
only have the shell of that now....and the fees we have now are not sufficient to finance the program.

Every environmental permit should require a fee sufficient to pay for the level of environmental review and public participation necessary for its issuance. Every regulated party should be subject
to annual fees sufficient to finance monitoring and enforcement.

Past attempts to set up such fees have been gelded by "sacred cow" considerations.....for example, a refusal by the Legislature
to subject agricultural and publicly owned facilities to sufficient fees.
Those sacred cows will have to get new fees sufficient to address
the burden of regulating these facilities.