E-M:/ MDEQ Director Congratulates Grand Rapids for Sustainability Efforts

Congratulations to the City of Grand Rapids! It shares this spotlight with some great cities!

Is anybody on this list aware of the specific goals referenced for use of renewable energy? Has the City of Grand Rapids established a renewable portfolio standard?

Craig

http://www.michigan.gov/deq/0,1607,7-135--165477--,00.html

DEQ Director Congratulates Grand Rapids for Sustainability Efforts

Contact:  Robert McCann (517) 241-7397
Agency:
Environmental Quality

March 29, 2007

Department of Environmental Quality Director Steven E. Chester today congratulated the city of Grand Rapids for their Community Sustainability Partnership efforts that recently earned them a sustainability award from the United Nations University. Grand Rapids is the first city in the nation to achieve this award, and one of only thirty throughout the world, including Barcelona, Spain, and Toronto, Canada.

Grand Rapids has established goals to raise the use of renewable energy sources in the city, develop programs to harness landfill gas, and capture wind power to produce energy for municipal buildings.

"I applaud Grand Rapids' efforts to grow their community while utilizing innovative approaches to protecting our environment," said Director Chester. "I look forward to our continued partnership with the city to enhance the environment and invest in our future."

Eight companies in Grand Rapids have been designated by the DEQ as Clean Corporate Citizens, the most of any city in the state, and Grand Rapids has more LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certified buildings than any city in the United States other than Seattle.

Editor's note: DEQ news releases are available on the department's Internet home page at www.michigan.gov/deq.

"Protecting Michigan's Environment, Ensuring Michigan's Future"

Revised March 29, 2007 by Pat Watson