E-M:/ Termite control

I just had an interesting phone call from one of our Township residents.  She has a termite problem and has called a couple of companies for information about treatment.  One proposes to put something in the soil around her house that is a slow release chemical and the other will put down something that kills them immediately.  Her concern is putting chemicals in the soil that could have a detrimental effect on the watershed.  She asked if I knew of a safer way to kill termites.  Does anyone have any advice?

Bonnie Shupe Blackledge
Cannon Township Clerk
6878 Belding Road NE
Rockford, MI 49341