E-M:/ MSU releases 2007 Campus Sustainability Report

Enviro-Mich message from "Link, Terry" <link@mail.lib.msu.edu>

		Contact: Terry Link, Campus Sustainability, (517) 355-1751, or link@mail.lib.msu.edu

		April 26, 2007

		MSU releases 2007 campus sustainability report

		EAST LANSING, Mich. - The Michigan State University Committee for a Sustainable Campus has released its second Campus Sustainability Report, a report that finds MSU is making improvements in areas such as traffic safety, employee injuries and crime.

		The report shows improvements not only in those areas, but also in new efforts to reduce the university's environmental footprint through the expansion of recycling efforts; receiving ISO 14001 certification for National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory, which recognizes the facility's efforts to be more environmentally friendly; joining the Chicago Climate Exchange to reduce greenhouse gases; and switching to biodiesel fuel for all diesel vehicles and equipment.

		"MSU is a large institution with a large footprint," said Terry Link, director of Campus Sustainability. "What we do here matters to the planet and the people and other beings we share it with."

		 "We hope the report will help the campus community consider how each of us might contribute to the development of a more sustainable community to leave to those who follow," said Lynda Boomer, a committee member and an energy and environmental engineer with MSU Physical Plant.

		The committee offered recommendations around 10 indicators of concern that they believe the community should examine and strive to improve. These cover everything from student debt to energy and water consumption.

		The report will be available online, Thursday, April 26th  at www.ecofoot.msu.edu <http://www.ecofoot.msu.edu/> .

Terry Link, Director
Office of Campus Sustainability
Michigan State University