RE: E-M:/ Toxic waste and race

I live in Dearborn which according to the stats has the worst air quality in the state.  I am pretty sure the neighborhoods used to be as lilly white as white can be, (hello Orville Hubbard)  and I am also sure the pollution was just as high then as it is now.  Neighborhoods are arabic, white and black, and the pollution still makes it impossible to enjoy a nice summer day.

Companies offer reasons for people not to fight backlow low taxes, etc)  or build in areas where low-income people  can't fight back.  ( I think that race (there really is only human race, its H s sapiens) has very little to do with it.  Color has a lot to do with it, the color is green.

E. Britt

Actually the situation is more complicated than that.  It depends on where you live and the role ethnicity/national origin played.  Delray, another place with historically bad contamination, used to be largely populated by Hungarians when Eastern Europeans were lower on the pecking order.

Similarly, Italians in Dearborn faced discrimination as well.  The place in Dearborn, the south end, with the monitor for the worst is overwhelmingly Arab, mostly Yemeni immigrants.  It has been that way for a good while now.  It may have been “lily white” at one point but not in my memory and I have been in Detroit 50 years.

I’d don’t know for sure, but I would be willing to bet that before the Yemeni there were Italians.  Like I said, it’s complicated.  But discrimination based on class race and ethnicity usually plays into it.  You don’t find the “captains of industry” living in the messes from which they profit.

Kim Hunter