E-M:/ DIANE WILSON in DETROIT

Here's an opportunity to see and hear an incredible activist as she visits Detroit:

DIANE WILSON,
 Author, founder of CODE PINK <http://www.codepink4peace.org/> , Environmental & Peace Activist will speak on THURSDAY, MAY 10, at 7:00 pm in the General Lectures Building NW corner of Warren and Anthony Wayne Drive/ Third Avenue, Wayne State University Campus, inDetroit.     This event is FREE and open to the public. Books will be available for signing at the event. Help us spread the word! This will be an exciting event and a great opportunity to see how one person can make a difference and truly change the world.

"We're losing ground. This planet is losing ground. So things need to happen and they need to happen quick. Our message should be loud andclearthere comes a time when the home needs protecting and the line needs drawing and anybody that dares cross it acts at their own peril." -- Diane Wilson

Praise about Unreasonable Woman, Diane Wilson's first book:
"I believe the book will become a classic, not just of the environmental movement, but of American lit, as well. It is the rare, clear, moving voice of a working-class woman goaded into action against the greatest massed forces in the world today: globalized corporate greed backed by government power." --Molly Ivans
“...An Unreasonable Woman will stand as one of this nation’s greatest works of nonfiction. I have never read a book quite like this one, and worry already that I might not yet again. This is one of the most powerful works of nonfiction I can remember reading in many years. In a cynical age, amidst such rampant loss anddestruction, it’s easy to regard Diane Wilson’s book as simply a masterpiece, and to let it go at that. But we owe it more. This book inspires in us the courage to believe—to remember—we can still change the world.”

—Rick Bass, award-winning author of The Hermit’s Story and Colter: The True Story of the Best Dog I Ever Had
"Texas is famous for its tall tales, but they pale in comparison to the true tale of Diane Wilson. Hers is a mind-bending story of corporate intrigue, government shenanigans and all-around political dirty tricks. This is a book about one of our greatest local heroes that could just give Texas a good name for a change."

—Jim Hightower, author, Let's Stop Beating Around the Bush

Learn more about Diane Wilson's amazing odyssey at:  AN UNREASONABLE WOMAN WEBSITE <http://www.chelseagreen.com/2005/items/unreasonablewoman>  Read an online interview with Diane at AN UNREASONABLE WOMAN FOR THE EARTH <http://www.gaianvoices.com/dianewilson.html>

When Wilson told her story at the 2001 Bioneers Conference of environmental activists and scientists, she challenged listeners to become unreasonable in their defense of the Earth. A new group, Unreasonable Women for the Earth, immediately formed, and Wilson says members in eight countries supported her hunger strike against Dow Chemical. She co-founded another network of women activists, Code Pink for Peace, in 2002.

In December 2005, Wilson began serving a four-month jail sentence for civil criminal trespass when she chained herself to a Dow Chemical tower in August 2002. The jail term opened a new chapter in her activism, as she advocated for better conditions for other women imprisoned in the Victoria County jail. -- Source:  AMERICANS WHO TELL THE TRUTH <http://americanswhotellthetruth.org/pgs/portraits/Diane_Wilson.html> . Diane Wilson was one of 50 American Portraits featured in the Award winning book Americans Who Tell the Truth.

"In 2001, there was a speaker at  <http://www.glbconference.org/> Bioneers <http://www.glbconference.org/>  named Diane Wilson, a fourth-generation fisherwoman from the Texas Gulf who discovered that her county was the most toxic in the country. She started educating herself and doing direct action. Through her activist work, she was able to get two zero-discharge agreements signed by multinational chemical companies.

When Diane spoke at Bioneers, she closed her remarks by paraphrasing George Bernard Shaw: "A reasonable woman adapts to the world. And an unreasonable woman makes the world adapt to her. So, I encourage you all to be unreasonable, because the world really needs us." At that, she got a huge standing ovation. All weekend long, women came up to her with tears in their eyes thanking her for what she had said. --Nina Simmons "mother of the bioneers movement" Source:  CONSCIOUS ENLIGHTENMENT PUBLISHING <http://cemagazines.com/portal/story/archive/stories_cg_bioneers.html>

Thank you for your support! The Book Beat is an independent bookstore serving the Metro-Detroit area since 1982. We are located at 26010 Greenfield, in Oak Park. Please call: 248-968-1190, attn: Cary Loren, or for more information or visit us online at: THE BOOKBEAT.COM <http://.www.thebookbeat.com/>  <http://.www.thebookbeat.com/>