E-M:/ Ah, spring! Ewww, CAFO stench!

Having been able to enjoy this lovely spring afternoon at my home, I am learning that many of other Michigan neighbors near CAFOs are suffering a version of the Spring Stench season, as these industrial operations empty waste lagoons of the fermented feces, urine, milkhouse wastes and chemical stew that they have gathered over the winter.

State Line Farms hog operation near Morenci, already sent three letters of violation by the DEQ for air quality abominations, is again causing ghastly air pollution for the neighbors.  Many of the CAFOs in the Hudson area are being documented as causing outrageous stench.  Reports of breathing difficulties, dizziness and nausea are coming in, and have been building since at least last week (go to www.nocafos.org/stench.htm for the latest in just one area).

If any legislators have the time in the next day or so to go experience the enormous, uncontrolled cost of Michigan’s extraordinarily weak regulations for CAFOs, please, come on down!  Maybe Michigan’s CAFO lobby can make the trip themselves.  The weather is fine, but the stench is out of sight!

AW

Anne M. Woiwode, State Director, Sierra Club Michigan Chapter  - 109 E. Grand River Avenue, Lansing, MI 48906

517-484-2372    fax 517-484-3108 -- anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org

Sierra Club Michigan Chapter celebrating our 40th Anniversary on September 9, 2007

Visit us at http://michigan.sierraclub.org/index.shtml

Act Today: Join our Legislative Alerts System! http://mackinac.sierraclubaction.org

Act FOR Tomorrow: Support the Sierra Club Michigan Chapter - contact Wendi Tilden at wendi.tilden@sierraclub.org