Re: E-M:/ antibiotic-resistant bacteria downstream from CAFO

The concern about this type of problem - not only cafos, has been specifically highlighted as an area of concern for the last 4 years in the state's State of the Environment Report, yet nothing has been done to determine the extent of the issue.  Also, a proposal for this issue to be looked into on behalf of the state by the Michigan Environmental Science Board was specifically sent to the Governor's office over 3 years ago but the suggestion was never even acknowledged.  Now, we no longer even have an environmental science board to look into issues like this.  Really make you wonder.

Larry Nooden <ldnum@umich.edu> wrote:
Enviro-Mich message from Larry Nooden

This kind of problem is actually bigger than is evident superficially.
Probably, the resistant bacterial strains are selected by antibiotics used
in the animal feed. This can easily produce multiple antibiotic
resistance, and those resistance genes are often located on a piece of DNA
that moves readily among bacteria of the same species and even between
species. So, these feeding and antibiotic-use practices have the potential
to aggravate some already significant antibiotic resistance problems (and
probably already have). In other words, the problem extends beyond the
sewage trail. There has been a lot of denial and political lobbying by the
industry to counter the public interests here.

The use of antibiotics and hormones in US animal production has provided
Europe and Japan with easy ammunition to discriminate against American food
products.

Thus, there are a variety of costs associated with these practices. Good
economics dictates bringing businesses in line with their true costs.

--On Friday, May 18, 2007 10:59 AM -0400 Ted Schettler
wrote:

> From www.environmentalhealthnews.org
>
> Scientists report that bacterial resistance to antibiotics important for
> fighting human disease is heightened in ground and surface waters
> downstream of a factory pig farm. The water sources below the swine
> feedlot also contained higher concentrations of the three types of
> intestinal bacteria studied than the surface and groundwater tested above
> the facility. The results show that waste from a swine CAFO can
> contribute antibiotic-resistant fecal bacteria to natural water systems.
> More...
> http://www.environmentalhealthnews.org/newscience/2007/2007-0513sapkotaet
> al.html
>

> Ted Schettler
>
> Science and Environmental Health Network

ENVIRO-MICH: Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental
and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action. Archives at