Re: E-M:/ Hybrid cars

Ditto.  Not to mention where the hydrogen comes from.  That's where the cradle-to-grave analysis is instructive.
----- Original Message -----
From: RC
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2007 10:24 AM
Subject: Re: E-M:/ Hybrid cars

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Enviro-Mich message from RC ------------------------------------------------------------------------- I've wondered how much of the 'big-3' giving the market away to the Japanese was due to racism and jingoism.

'Green' is the new 'organic' which IMO lost some meaning in 2001/2002 when the FDA changed the rules on what makes organic organic...

I'm in a personal quandary. I have a vehicle that gets on average 15mpg. Gas is now safely over $3 per gallon. Rumoured to stay there and possibly crest $4! Is it 'Enron trickery'? I think so but in today's political climate will a politician of any persuasion be able to stand up to their corporate masters and punch Goliath in the eye. What should I do now. Buy a green car and park the gas thirsty monster?

Regarding 'green' cars... If the total amount of 'green-ness' out ways the creation of said vehicle then the result is good. I guess that's a question left to others to figure out if the degree of environmental return is 'worth it'. I do think that 'market based' and 'voluntary measures' aren't going to do anything except make people feel better and while we need to feel better, we also need to make the environment better...

Washington has shifted their policy concerning welfare from a person centric to a corporation centric focus. Nuclear (nukular) power has their hands out and so do the major oil companies and the big-3 and airlines. Meaningful change in the environment is going to result in pain being felt by many entrenched political players. It seems that the areas that really need the money and subsidies aren't in political favor, or connected enough to get their time at the trough. That has to change and it's very unlikely that it will unless there is a sea change of monumental proportions at the federal level.

On the whole donations angle, when I consider how much of my tax money is 'donated' by my government to further line the pockets of corporations actively working against the environment, I feel that giving *anything* to the environmental cause is my way of trying to cancel out my government's support... I wish I had more money to give... Being in business I realize that you have to spend money to make money. I just ask that a substantial amount of 'my' money go to the projects that I feel the group (and I) support...

We perhaps should be able to earmark our tax payments to not go to industry pockets that target the environment but since we can't, we have to do what we (I) can...

Regarding education. It was widely reported that after a photo-op at the US capital showing new hydrogen fuel cell cars, Dennis Hastert drove out of the presentation in the hydrogen car, stopped at his H-U-G-E SUV (Ford Excursion), got out of the 'green' car and into his behemoth and drove off... The general public isn't quite so stupid not to see that the conversion of the politicos to the 'green' mantra is only skin deep... Plus add the incredible effect of the Bush economy and many people can't afford to fix their existing cars let alone buy anything new... 'Green' is also viewed as something like 'french' or 'elitist' to people programmed by empty calorie info-tainment tv programming...

Our world is being gamed in so many ways now... It's hard to know which end is up...

Robert Cowling
Michigan Environ-Mental-ist