RE: E-M:/ Re: CARS -- not just one answer

Enviro-Mich message from "Susanna Weckerle" <sweckerle@cfsem.org>

Amen.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
[mailto:owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net] On Behalf Of Andrew Mutch
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2007 10:07 AM
To: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
Subject: Re: E-M:/ Re: CARS -- not just one answer

-
Enviro-Mich message from Andrew Mutch <andrewimutch@yahoo.com>
-

Let's not forget the role that land use planning and
infrastructure investment play in all of this. In many
places in the country, like much of SE Michigan,
getting by without a car isn't feasible for the
average resident. The same land use patterns that make
going without a car impracticle are also the same
reasons we can't sustain public transportation.
Without an sufficient density of population, public
transportation is often expensive, heavily subsidized
and lightly used.

Even where density exists to support transportation
choices, if the built environment isn't designed to a
pedestrian scale and with pedestrians in mind, we end
up with nasty, ugly places where no one wants to live
or work. Unfortunately, in many places, little thought
is given to these issues and it makes it that much
more difficult to develop or incorporate
transportation options into a community. It's easier
to blame "developers" or "sprawl" for these problems
but much of that is a direct result of choices made
locally by communities in their zoning and
construction standards (or lack there of).

Andrew Mutch
Novi

____________Got a little couch potato?
http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=oni_on_mail&p=summer+activities+for+ki